Chicken acting odd, diarrhea.

I completely understand loosing one and over watching the rest. I do that too.
You are correct in assuming the posture and being alone is not a normal behavior so I would still keep an eye on her. Watch to see if she resumes normal behavior within the flock. Egg laying socializing and grazing scratching about.

with lots of rain and varying temps it is possible for a chicken to get a respiratory issue So keep an eye on her eyes and nose.
Coccidiosis breeds in warm wet conditions so make sure to keep the run as clean and dry as possible.

@GitaBooks is correct it is better to act quickly then to wish you had done something sooner.

Always post your questions Every one here has chickens they love and are willing to help. Some myself included shoot out a panic and need to be reminded be clear and have pics if you can it helps people to under stand and be able to help you. and it will help you learn as they grow.

Just like any other pet or even children what worked for one is not always the answer for another New ideas and solutions are a good thing.

Good luck and please keep us posted on her progress

Oh and just a tip take it or leave it.
If I have to do a health check or give a medicine directly I do that after the Ladies have gone to roost they tend to be more mellow and easier to get ahold of at bed time. If a chicken is really ill she should be easier to scoop up in the run or yard.
They have a strong flight response and will run if chased even if they trust you. You can teach them to come to you by hand feeding treats and petting as they take it.

I completely understand loosing one and over watching the rest. I do that too.
You are correct in assuming the posture and being alone is not a normal behavior so I would still keep an eye on her. Watch to see if she resumes normal behavior within the flock. Egg laying socializing and grazing scratching about.

with lots of rain and varying temps it is possible for a chicken to get a respiratory issue So keep an eye on her eyes and nose.
Coccidiosis breeds in warm wet conditions so make sure to keep the run as clean and dry as possible.

@GitaBooks
is correct [COLOR=FF8C00]it is better to act quickly then to wish you had done something sooner.[/COLOR]

Always post your questions Every one here has chickens they love and are willing to help. Some myself included shoot out a panic and need to be reminded be clear and have pics if you can it helps people to under stand and be able to help you. and it will help you learn as they grow.

Just like any other pet or even children what worked for one is not always the answer for another New ideas and solutions are a good thing.

Good luck and please keep us posted on her progress

Thanks, I will try to remember to update. We are having another rain day here so unfortunately dry is not an option. They can stay in the coop if they want to but these crazy chickens like to play in the rain. I think they are half duck :) I did give them a couple more days of corid water so hopefully they won't get coccidiosis.

Oh and just a tip take it or leave it.
If I have to do a health check or give a medicine directly I do that after the Ladies have gone to roost they tend to be more mellow and easier to get ahold of at bed time. If a chicken is really ill she should be easier to scoop up in the run or yard.
They have a strong flight response and will run if chased even if they trust you. You can teach them to come to you by hand feeding treats and petting as they take it.

Ok, let me see if I am understanding. A sick chicken will not be hard to catch? So if we have to chase her all over the yard and corner her multiple times she probably isn't sick? I think if we had waited for the night we wouldn't have been able to tell which one she was. We have several Isa Browns and haven't yet figured out how to tell them apart.

Catching a weak chicken is easy, but catching a sick chicken isn't always. A chicken that is easy to catch is probably nearing critical state.
For a hard to catch hen, use a treat and confidently but calmly approach them. Then make the grab for them and don't hesitate. Once they get away once its much harder to catch them. Pin the wings so they don't hurt you or themselves flapping.

Back
Top Bottom