Chicken Anatomy Q: Where do eggs come from ??

HenNewbie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Dayton, Or
My DH has informed me that the eggs and poo come from the same place...... ! I am pretty sure that can't be true. His concern is the eggs may have poo on them and will need to be washed. I've read here about not 'needing' to wash eggs, but that you may want to 'if' they have poo on them. Please help educate us on this topic as we are soooo very new to this raising chickens world.

The reproductive tract and the excretory tract fuse at their ends and exit from the same opening. So yes, poo and eggs come out the same place. lol. Shells are easy to clean, so don't worry.

ETA: we never wash our eggs unless they're really gross. The eggs are protected by the "bloom," a thin membrane on the shell, which prevents bacteria from entering the pores on the eggs.

Last edited:
Although they don't originate in the same place, ultimately both poo and eggs come out of the same place - the vent. Some eggs will get poo on them. Most of mine don't.

If they roost in the nests, yep, there will be poop on your eggs. Usually, mine are clean, but sometimes in high production older hens, the cloaca becomes "loose" and you get a wad of poop on that hen's egg. I have one Buff Orp who almost always lays an egg with a poop wad on it, LOL. The egg channel closes off when they poop and vice versa, or it's supposed to.

Pick up your chicken calmly, hands covering the wings and place its head between your left arm and your body facing to the rear. Now bring your left hand under to grasp its feet.

Now with your right hand reach over and spread its feathers away from its rear end. There, for your examination, is the vent.

You should examine this area occasionaly, as it is the business end of the hen and so, rather important. Check for pliability of the surrounding flesh and to see that that pubic bones are well spread - you should be able to get 2-3 fingers well pressed in between them.

And yes, both egg and poo come from the same orifice.

May I suggest that you obtain, at the earliest convenience, a good book on chicken rearing? There is no substitute for a decent reference, close to hand.

Your question seems to have been answered but since washing eggs came up I will throw in my .02¢ worth. The bloom refered to starts to deteriorate after 10 days. So dirty eggs should be washed if not used before those 10 days go by. Once eggs are washed if they are not going to be used immediately they should be coated with lard or shortening and refrigerated.

This is gross. I wasn't aware of this.
1f633.png

Back
Top Bottom