Chicken Breed Focus - Ameraucana

Pics
This is my Ameraucana, Darla with my daughter. She is from my first attempt at incubating last summer. We have enjoyed her so much we decided to hatch some of her eggs
big_smile.png
Plus she lays eggs 6-7 days out of 7. She is an all around win.

Here are her babies, they are half Orpington. They are mutts, but I was hoping to get a few more good layers with Darla's sweet personality and my Roo needed a fertility check. Charlotte, Scarlett, and Violet. The one in the top right, Violet, may be a Vincent. He/she has some wattles coming in already under that adorable beard. Its quite cute.

And these Bantam Self Blue Ameraucana eggs are in my incubator, due May 9. I *need* to add some Wheatens and BBS to my flock too
lol.png
My poor husband
lol.png

Lovely hen and babies! Good luck with your hatch, only a week to go?

This was the first chick named Boss: a Buff Orpington x Ameraucana hybrid.
Has the fluffy cheeks just like the mom! Pulls all the color from the daddy, though.

This second chick is supposed to be all Ameraucana (EE?).
They have the fluffiest cheeks of all! So much so, that it's constantly going into it's eyes.
Very greenish legs. I heard a rumor that certain EE's are sex links and can be easily identified?

The third chick here is also all Ameraucana (EE?).
I was worried something was really wrong when it hatched -- like a hernia from the way it looked -- but it turns out it was just a small amount of unabsorbed yolk sac.
They're doing great now! Such a tiny thing. Legs are a lighter grey-green than the above sibling, however.
love.gif

The very light blue is from a cream crested legbar but the other blue/green ones are araucanas
smile.png
I have "egg envy"
lol.png
It's nice to see the blues next to the "normal" egg colour and see how vivid the blue really is.

Petunia and Hyacinth. They're hatch mates. I expect Hyacinth to be an olive egger. They're due to lay any day now. They're from a pen containing black copper marans and easter eggers. Just love them. I have a total of 9 of these mixed birds, plus Lucy, from another breeder (I think she's full Ameraucana and part of a BBS hatch, her hatch mate was splash)

Lucy and her hatch mate. He sadly died much too young. His heart was enlarged and his body was filled with clear fluid.
Sorry to hear about your loss!

Your Americana is so beautiful, I have two lavender americanas and four blue americanas, they were straigt run, soi not sure if there is any ro's? how do I know if they are roosters at such a youyng age, any signs? do hens want to stance off to each other at maybe 2 months old? also I have 1 month olds as well? thank you,

Great photos everyone! Ameraucanas are a great breed (though I don't own any true ones myself). I enjoy seeing pictures of those nice blue eggs, and pretty bearded birds!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom