Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Pics
Hello and i have a curious question about my new 3 week old Appenzeller Spitzhauben chicks. I have two chicks same age. One is getting longer tail feathers, the other coming on much shorter. Do you think this is an indicator of a male or female trait at such a young age.
These were sexed as females but I know that is not 100%.
Any input would be great.
Thank you~
Darin
Thank you

I wanted to give a big thank you to @Metella for shipping, resting and getting fertile eggs under my broody Spitz hen all with in 2 days! Her birds are beautiful and she got those eggs to me do quick and in perfect condition.
We're half way through incubation and all eggs are growing strong!
Hatch date is on my bday and I can't wait!

LOVE IT !!!! :) Thanks so much for the picture !!

Now you know - you HAVE to share pics of the babies !! This year - even with the same parents - all the crests seem to be bigger than last spring ... curious if yours are too.

'Tis the season!

I finally got my 3 spitzes (after the store mix up where they sold 1/2 my special order chicks.) At least it worked out much better than the 5 SS pullets I had ordered. I took what looked like 5 SS chicks home. One turned out to be a Welsummer & 2 were male, so I only got 2 of what I actually ordered. Guess I'll go back to using the other older store (farther away) if buying chicks again.

Aren't they cute!

'Tis the season! I finally got my 3 spitzes (after the store mix up where they sold 1/2 my special order chicks.) At least it worked out much better than the 5 SS pullets I had ordered. I took what looked like 5 SS chicks home. One turned out to be a Welsummer & 2 were male, so I only got 2 of what I actually ordered. Guess I'll go back to using the other older store (farther away) if buying chicks again. Aren't they cute!
I am always impressed by your photo taking skills.

Thank you very much. The trick is it actually has to be done quickly.

I put a blanket on a chair (& paper towel to save the blanket) before getting chicks out. Or I may set up flowers, a basket, or a planter to get fancy.
Then I hold the chicks in place with one hand while I hold the camera & focus with the other.
Move my chick hand up & snap the pics before they can move.
Pics with 1-3 chicks are much easier. More chicks &/or older chicks require more hands.

I have no idea how those professionals get 6-10 puppies in one shot!
The closest I have ever come to that is this:

Back
Top Bottom