Chicken Breed Focus - Brahma

My Gold Laced Brahma crew

My Blue Partridge Brahma Roo

I chose Brahmas because of their beauty and their gentle nature. Just love them.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of one of my l four light brahma hens, this one is gertrude
i decided to get brahmas because i loved the colors and lacing. i use my hens as pets and egg layers. i LOVE brahmas because of there curiousness.
[/IMG]

This is my first year of hatchery Brahmas (2nd year of chickens) I got them because of their reportedly docile nature. Though they were in the pullet bin I got a pullet and a cockerel. He is AWESOME , well really they both are. She is smart and fast and frienldy, he is huge and beautiful and sweet. They are only about 15 weeks now so no eggs yet and I have my fingers crossed that he will be quiet enough to let me keep him around but so far I just adore them.

Pretty birds and nice to hear your roo is a sweetie!
Thanks! I think they are pretty handsome though this morning I have a new opinion of him haha, he is starting to feel his oats I think and is starting to grab the poor little EE's by the scruff but not sure what he is supposed to do from there on out.....go try that with the older girls and see how life goes buddy!
smack.gif

They are only about 15 weeks now so no eggs yet and I have my fingers crossed that he will be quiet enough to let me keep him around but so far I just adore them.

Yeh! My copper moran mix is three weeks and I heard him try to crow yesterday. He has a year to grow up. My older Roos are the ones that tame the younger roos . Well, this year it would be the one dominant BCM because I lost the silver one to an unfair fight. Rudy-Tootee is what I call him, the older roo.
I have a US hatchery Light Brahma hen, year and a half. I like how yours posed for the shots NewMarch2014. My friends don't have roos because of the B&B they own but they would have had a lot less eagle killings if they did. I have 4/16.
got any names for them Yet?

Thanks! I think they are pretty handsome though this morning I have a new opinion of him haha, he is starting to feel his oats I think and is starting to grab the poor little EE's by the scruff but not sure what he is supposed to do from there on out.....go try that with the older girls and see how life goes buddy!
smack.gif
My Light Brahma roo last year was like that. Once his hormones were in, so was raping ducks and pulling out everyone's neck feathers. Last year's Brahmas (one roo, two hens, all light) were sold around 5 mos because of the duck raping (my other roos were picking up his bad habits). With their feather feet, I named them all for Hobbits.

This year, I have three Dark Brahmas and two Light Brahmas. Two of the Dark Brahmas are roosters (Mag the Mighty and Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun or "Wun Wun," for short. It's a Game of Thrones thing
wink.png
), and, boy, are they sweethearts so far. Wun Wun and Mag have decided as of this week that they are male and will occasionally do the manhood staring contest. Mag's decided he can crow after my 1-pound D'Uccle beat him to the singing contest. Good thing about Brahma crows is that they're low and quiet by comparison to the rest of the yard (We have 2 EEs, the D'Uccle and a Welsummer that are crowing so far). For all of their mighty chest expansion, they're really quiet birds. When an EE crows in the house, it reverbs along the walls and deafens people; when a D'Uccle does it, kids complain; when a Brahma does it, nobody really cares.

The Dark Brahmas are friendlier than the Light Brahmas and invite themselves onto laps and into the house at every opportunity. Very cuddly, sweet-natured birds, so I wholeheartedly recommend them to people with close neighbors and children. All of the Light Brahmas have been far more skittish than any of the Dark Brahmas, and roos seem to be friendlier than hens, regardless of color (though Dark Brahmas are still friendlier, and even the DB hen can be far more easily handled than my LB roo was last year). It probably just a hatchery thing, and I'm pretty sure that--given the popularity of Light Brahmas--not all hatcheries are stressing temperament type and conformation as much as they should, particularly in the more popular, trendy breeds.

@Indyshent , your comments about the differences in temperament between the light and the dark are interesting. Thanks for mentioning.

Good to hear about the crowing, he has not even tried yet but I was thinking his crow would match his huge size and was worried. Yeah my lights are sweet but a little skittish. They let me catch them and eat out of my hand but they are a little flighty, though they have a lot of trauma with my older girls, one of them wants to kill them all and had to be quarantined and the rest are at the very least bossy.

Back
Top Bottom