Chicken Breed Focus - Brahma

We have four Light Brahmas in our flock at the moment - they are sweet birds, very docile and have somewhat surprised me on production (in a good way) - that being said, they are the first on my list of birds to go in the next round of flock changes. Overall, the feed to egg conversion just isn't there and they tend to be favorite targets for picking by the rest of the flock who apparently are not fans of their unshaven legs. I will be keeping one of the four because she has proven to be a good broody (hatched once and raised that batch superbly, and HARD to break this time around when I opted not to let her actually set any eggs) and has placed herself well in the pecking order so the issues of the other three are not an issue with her. The decision on my part is not so much a reflection of the breed at all - just a matter of I *thought* I wanted them (were a new breed to me this time around) and now I realize I thought wrong, lol.

Last edited:
Are my mystery chickens light brahmas the are 3 months old

I bought a Light Brahma to equalize my Rooster crazy flock. I thought it would work having one that the roosters would not bother but she is so docile even with the other hens that she is the one getting bullied around. She is very friendly to me often coming to me for treats by pecking my leg or arm or maybe protection. I talk to her more to reassure her. I need to check if she is getting her fill of layer food by checking her breast bone. Eggs were meager until she was one year or more. Now light brown, huge, and speckled. Wonderful breed. Bought a supposed Jersey Giant too so they would be friends at the same time but it turned out to be a Copper Moran or a very small giant.
tongue.png

TO Chickens18

They are and you are in for a treat if they are chicken pets.
Don't you love the feathered legs and feet. Perfect winter garb, small combs too.

Last edited:
TO Chickens18

They are and you are in for a treat if they are chicken pets.
Don't you love the feathered legs and feet.  Perfect winter garb, small combs too.
all of my animals are pets :) so far they are my favorite

Last edited:
I have 2 dark brahma one light and one buff.
Mine are hatchery stock and do not necessarily conform to the best standards. I absolutely adore them regardless. I chose Brahma because I would like to hatch some chicks out in the future and in reading found they were A) friendly B) broody C) huge and D) can handle the climate where we live.

Mine are destined to be pets (I have no rooster so any eggs they hatch out will be purchased ones)

This is Cinders

This buff one is Sandy

Sarah is on the left here with Cinders in the middle.

It looks like I did not get pictures of Jasmine the light sadly.

Do you own Brahmas? Are you a Brahma breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

I own large fowl buff brahmas.

I am a brahma breeder (two years).
I decided to get this breed because of the size and dual purpose.
I decided to keep them after the first year because of the Temperament: Friendly, easily handled, calm, bears confinement well, docile
My favorite characteristic is "calm".
I will try and edit in a photo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom