Chicken Breed Focus - Campine

And some older pictures of Campine hens, from 1865 and 1893.
Looks like they have rose combs, not to mention very watery pencilling.
These could be the ancestors of both the current Campines and of the pencilled Hamburgs.

Hi Iawatt, the fan tails are sure difficult to get rid of. I read somewhere that they can appear when roosters don't have enough lesser siccles to hold the tail down. That's also the difference between a barred henfeathered Hamburg and a Campine roo, the Hamburg only has the greater siccles whereas the Campine roo should be henfeathered in color and have all the feathers of a normal rooster, so including greater and lesser siccles. I don't know if you have this Hamburg variety in the States, so here's a picture below.

Another thing about the tail of your rooster is that is not barred at all. Main tail feathers, greater and lesser siccles all should be barred and not be entirely black. I'm not sure which gene causes this.

catching up months later to respond to this (old) post: my rooster actually has barring on his tail feathers, although it's not as complete/regular-looking as the bird in the above photo. but they are not entirely black.

I've got the sweetest Campine girl! She is 22 weeks old and no egg. Are they late layers?

Here she is getting morning loves.

I've got the sweetest Campine girl! She is 22 weeks old and no egg. Are they late layers?

Here she is getting morning loves.

We got our Soly girls first egg today!
Her behavior in the last week before laying has changed so much. We even brought in a new lady hen and she's going so easy in her. Has calmed down 100%! She laid in the egg box even.
She is 27 weeks and 5 days old.

Back
Top Bottom