Chicken Breed Focus - Campine

You described my Scout to a T. She was half the size of her broodmates (all different LF breeds from MPC), and she bossed all of them (and later the rooster when I got him) around. She was chatty and energetic and a delight to watch. When she was about 2, she injured a leg -- we think she caught it on something and jerked it out of the hip joint. I even took her to the vet. he said to give her time and she would either heal or not. We kept her in a small run/coop for a little while, and gradually she started getting back the use of her leg. It took her a couple of months to climb back to head hen, but she did it and ruled the roost until she died. I sure miss her chirpy voice out there.
Aw, sorry for your loss! Ihi is not so bold like your Scout was, more of a middle of the pecking order type of gal. She doesn't get pushed around, but she also doesn't go looking for trouble. She gets herself into some pretty crazy situations sometimes, though. :rolleyes: I think it's a Campine thing. :lol:
Thanks for the mentions, @chicken4prez and @NorthFLChick ! :D I was ecstatic when I found this particular Breed Focus upon waking up. As many of you may know, I sort of represent Alex here on BYC by taking her name and never using any other chicken in my avatar but my quirky little sweetie. Might I dare to venture that she has a severe case of "chicken ADHD," which furthers her endearing, ornery personality. I tell you, it is an Olympic feat to snap a picture of her when her head is moving 30 times every second! :p And talk about enough energy to power a small town...whew.....:cd Although Alex is extremely docile and doesn't seem to mind being scooped up, I think she secretly hates having to stay still for even 1 minute. Oh, and one other thing, NEVER try to have a bonfire with marshmallows, s'mores, and hot dogs in peace, because she'll waste no time about flying up on your arm to snatch a gooey marshmallow right out of your fingers, hopping down, and then running away to devour her treat. I mean, really, she doesn't even say please! She's got the most adorable, strange voice in which she expresses her MANY opinions, that I have described as "crackly." It's so cute! Alex enjoying a nice dustbathing session with her little twin, Cookie the Sicilian Buttercup. -Alex
Alex sounds like a real card. I think I may own her sister. :lol: Ihi is the same way with being held and with all her energy! She goes bolting around like it's the end of the world, such a busy hen she is! Crackly, that's an oddly perfect description for her voice. It's such an unusual sound Ihi makes, it's so hard to describe! Only difference is Ihi's 'twin' is a Fayoumi. ;) They're more opposites by appearance, but get those two together and things get crazy pretty fast.
P.S. Is that a Splash Marans I spy in the background of one of your pictures? :love

hello thread -- I'm not on BYC very much these days, but i've similarly had a group of silver campines for the past few years -- they always seem more like regular birds to me than most chicken breeds: they're a bit wild and suspicious, they fly FAR more (and much farther!) than any of my other chickens, and they generally do not like to be handled -- but they are smart and excellent foragers. mine would love to be outside of their pen/run every single minute of every day, but i'm in a predator-heavy area, so they are limited to free-ranging when i can keep an eye on them -- although they're probably the only ones that would be smart enough to fly up into the trees to escape a predator.

a few pictures:

love the leopard-spotted chicks!

and lastly, a recent video:
vimeo_logo.png

Okay, now I know why my ears were burning! I raise Silver Campines and have for about five years. I wish (there I go again) that I had more pics, but here is my Avatar pic that everyone loves.

hello thread -- I'm not on BYC very much these days, but i've similarly had a group of silver campines for the past few years -- they always seem more like regular birds to me than most chicken breeds: they're a bit wild and suspicious, they fly FAR more (and much farther!) than any of my other chickens, and they generally do not like to be handled -- but they are smart and excellent foragers. mine would love to be outside of their pen/run every single minute of every day, but i'm in a predator-heavy area, so they are limited to free-ranging when i can keep an eye on them -- although they're probably the only ones that would be smart enough to fly up into the trees to escape a predator.

a few pictures:

love the leopard-spotted chicks!

and lastly, a recent video:
vimeo_logo.png

Wow
droolin.gif
those are gorgeous!

Alex sounds like a real card. I think I may own her sister.
lol.png
Ihi is the same way with being held and with all her energy! She goes bolting around like it's the end of the world, such a busy hen she is! Crackly, that's an oddly perfect description for her voice. It's such an unusual sound Ihi makes, it's so hard to describe! Only difference is Ihi's 'twin' is a Fayoumi.
wink.png
They're more opposites by appearance, but get those two together and things get crazy pretty fast.

P.S. Is that a Splash Marans I spy in the background of one of your pictures?
love.gif
I could'n't agree more that Alex and Ihi resemble each other, most likely because they both have those ornery, impish expressions on their faces. And don't forget that glint in the eye!
tongue.png
Your girls are sooooooo cute! W'e're planning on getting a Fayoumi sometime soon, so we'll see how that goes.
smile.png
Then we would have triple the trouble!

It is possible that they might be sisters, come to think of it. When was Ihi's hatch date? Alex was a March 30, 2015 baby. One of my very good friends on here has a Blue Splash Marans who hatched the same day, came from the same hatchery, and looks identical to my own, so it's very possible.

Speaking of Blue Splash Marans, yes, that is exactly what you see in Alex's photobomb shot! Does she remind you of Frou-Frou?
smile.png
I've read your articles and threads, so that's what I was guessing. By the way, I am so sorry about your loss of such a lovely girl.

-Alex

Back
Top Bottom