Chicken Breed Focus - Delaware

I chose Delaware when I first got chickens in '08 and have had them ever since. Finding non hatchery Dels wasn't easy. I love my Dels they are easy going and will take in any hen I put in with them. The roosters don't bother the chicks either. If I have youngsters to grow out I just put them in with the Dels and switch them all to a grower feed. They are my best winter layer.

I got them for their temperament. They do well in confinement, if you need to leave them in the run, but as with all birds don't over crowd them.

They are hard to bring to SOP though, which is why I think folks give up on them.

Hi, Thank you for your comments, I will be ordering two hens to add to my flock, I was looking for a docile friendly Australorps and Orpingtons.
Could I ask you what SOP means?
Thank You

Delawares are one of my favorite breeds, and I always have a few in my flock. My best birds have come from Sand Hill Preservation, another farm dedicated to rare and heritage breeds of chickens.

They are friendly, bossy, sassy, nosy, BIG eaters, excellent layers of large to extra large nicely colored medium brown eggs, good mammas when they go broody (not too often as befits a layer breed), long lived, and beautiful.

But beware - they have special ESP mind powers and will attempt to control you to their gain 😵

Last edited:
Hi, Thank you for your comments, I will be ordering two hens to add to my flock, I was looking for a docile friendly Australorps and Orpingtons.
Thank You
Hi VTCath, welcome to BYC :)
SOP is short for Standard of Perfection, the guide by which birds are judged. There is an SOP for every breed registered with the American Poultry Association.

Another good breed guide is the Henderson Chicken Chart, found here http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Thank You
We have a nice hatchery level gal, she is noisy and curious but doesn't like touching! They are fun birds to have though. SOP means Standard of Perfection. It's used in judging for chicken shows. I hope you love your girls!

I have one Delaware in my mixed flock , her name is “ Precious” got the name because * I think * she’s soooo pretty ☺️
B58678B4-8DD8-48A8-BCCF-7AB134755BAD.jpeg
B58678B4-8DD8-48A8-BCCF-7AB134755BAD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom