Chicken Breed Focus - Hedemora

IMG_20210412_194421.jpg
The "silkie game cross "I was given, looks a lot like a hedemora.

In the upper right of the photo.

Here's a few pictures of our few hedemora.

Starting with Sota ( Soot), all black, comb and legs.
View attachment 2589937

This is Ben and Blacky, both with red comb and grey legs.

View attachment 2589938

This is Persille ( Parsley) , who just found out is was time to become mama. So we hope she will lay there for 18-19 more days. She is hiding 8 eggs.
View attachment 2589939
Is it true they lay eggs all winter in the cold? I live in Minnesota USA and I’d love to find a breed that would keep laying through the winter.

Is it true they lay eggs all winter in the cold? I live in Minnesota USA and I’d love to find a breed that would keep laying through the winter.
My Hedmora is about 1,5 year old. She has been layin every second day all winter.
Temp has been between 35° and 5° F.

The Hedemora is a landrace developed over the past 500 years in the area surrounding Hedemora, Sweden, from whence it takes its name. The Hedemora is said to be the most cold hardy chicken in the world, they are known to lay throughout the frigid winters and are willing foragers even in the snow in sub zero weather.

Being a landrace, they have no set standard. They are a medium sized robust bird that weighs around 5 lbs and have smallish single combs and small wattles to help reduce frostbite. They come in a very wide range of beautiful colors and patterns. There are three basic types of Hedemora, the wooly Silkied-feather type that has fine and furry looking feathers that cover the body, and feather-legged and clean-legged versions, both with a heavy down layer under smooth feathers. Breeders believe that all three types and all colors should be kept in a flock to assure genetic diversity.

They are said to be docile and easy to handle. Some of the hens will go broody and are said to be excellent very protective mothers.

Hedemora are a very rare breed with perhaps 2000 birds existing world wide, they were imported into the US around 2010.

Details:

Breed purpose: Eggs.
Comb Type: Small Single
Broodiness: Occasional, very good mothers.
Climate Tolerance: Extremely Cold Hardy.
Weight: 5 lbs roosters, 4 lbs hens.
Egg Productivity: Fair/Good, 150 eggs year.
Egg Size: Medium
Egg Color: Brown

No BYC Breed review available at present)

General breed discussions & FAQ threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/414844/hedemora-thread/0_20
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/948250/hedemora-breeders-wanted/0_20

Hedemora Pullet @stoneunhenged

Hedemora Pullet @stoneunhenged

Hedemora pullet @mothernaturesdaughter

Hedemora chick @NanaHess

Hedemora cockerel @stoneunhenged

Hedemora rooster @mothernaturesdaughter

Hedemora rooster @mothernaturesdaughter

Hedemora Flock @stoneunhenged

Do you own Hedemoras? Are you a Hedemora breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Wondering if u guys think these are roos ?

Attachments

• 663335E9-CC3D-4616-A642-EFE6279A4260.jpeg
    663335E9-CC3D-4616-A642-EFE6279A4260.jpeg
    656.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 718ECB0E-87E6-4B9A-B76A-2F0E00CAA41A.jpeg
    718ECB0E-87E6-4B9A-B76A-2F0E00CAA41A.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom