Chicken Breed Focus - Icelandic

The DNA of this landrace absolutely fascinates me! I'm hoping to get pure hatching eggs soon but it's proving to be very difficult! I'd love to help preserve these gorgeous birds!

My two favorites of your pullets!
clap.gif

As far as I know, there is only one "hatchery" that offers Icelandic. That is Country Hatchery down here in Oklahoma. He is unable or unwilling to reveal from whom he got his stock. If you are interested in raising Icelandic, they should only be obtained from breeders who can trace their birds back to the original four import lines. I have two of the original lines, am getting a third in March and am working on obtaining the fourth. I raise a mixture of the lines also, to improve the gene pool.

No, they are two different birds. I no longer have the first one. He has gone to be a flock rooster for another breeder.

The bottom pullet is one of my three pure Behl line girls. I also purchased two cockerels from the original importer and they are in with the three girls as one of my pure line breeding pens.

As far as I know, there is only one "hatchery" that offers Icelandic.  That is Country Hatchery down here in Oklahoma.  He is unable or unwilling to reveal from whom he got his stock.  If you are interested in raising Icelandic, they should only be obtained from breeders who can trace their birds back to the original four import lines.  I have two of the original lines, am getting a third in March and am working on obtaining the fourth.  I raise a mixture of the lines also, to improve the gene pool.

Sand hill Preservation Center and hatchery has icelandics but they are sold out for 2016.

The third to last (Richard, a Golden Wheaten) and the next to last (Roger, a Silver Birchin) cockerels were purchased directly from the original importer, Mr. Lyle Behl, in Illinois. The others are a mix of Húsatóftor/Hlésey/Behl lines.

The top one is my favorite. She is my only pumpkin colored one. The bottom one is one of my 3 pure Behl girls as indicated by the blue leg band.

Back
Top Bottom