Chicken Breed Focus - Langshan

I've had one of these, and I loved her! She was HUGE!! And while not the most productive later, her eggs were beautiful and (usually) worth the wait. They varied quite a bit, from a dusty brown to a speckled pink to a true plum. I just ordered more to be shipped in the spring.

I've had one of these, and I loved her! She was HUGE!! And while not the most productive later, her eggs were beautiful and (usually) worth the wait. They varied quite a bit, from a dusty brown to a speckled pink to a true plum. I just ordered more to be shipped in the spring.

That is really weird to have such a color variation from one bird.

That is really weird to have such a color variation from one bird.

Yep. It really only varied a lot when she first started laying. As she got a little older, it was usually the same, sometimes a little more or less purple, but not speckled anymore. Too bad, the speckles were a pretty intense purple.

I know this is an old entry, but I wanted to reply because I really enjoy my Langshans. I wish they were more common.

What made you decide to get this breed?
I got them about 2 years ago because I really like large chickens and especially the tall stance of the Langshans.
I just think they are lovely birds. I got them for eggs and as pets from Murray McMurray (straight run).

What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
They are very gentle, some of the lowest on the pecking order in my flock of 25 birds. But they aren't so submissive they get picked on.
I love their long, flowing tails, their characteristic U-shaped back and their silly feathered feet. They tend to do a careful high-step when walking, like someone wearing scuba flippers. They have dark brown, gentle eyes, incredibly soft feathers and very long toes.

They are a bit stand-offish (do not like to be picked up and snuggled), but they are always curious what I am doing and stay close in case I do something interesting. They are definitely not high energy birds.

Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!
I will try to post pictures later. I haven't found a really good way to photograph how lovely they are, though. You need to see them in action.

This thread hasn't been very active. It's a shame. I got some nice quality Langshans last year. My great grandparents were one of the major importers of black langshans in 1883. They showed their birds and sold eggs all over the US. I got these in their honor.
I have no idea why on earth this bird has fallen out of favor. They are huge impressive birds that are the best layers I think I have. I have no mixed breed or hatchery crossed birds for fast laying.
At any rate their eggs are a deep beautiful brown. They lay very well and tend to be very broody. One thing I have noticed is their eggs are always clean. Even if I've allowed them to sit on them for the full 21 days the eggs are still pristine. They are excellent Moms and sitters as well. They boys have nice broad breasts and long legs. It's obvious this is a bird you would raise if you particularly were fond of white meat. The chicks didn't sell as well as some breeds I've had but I fail to see why. I think for the most part they've been forgotten.
I sold several pairs to people wanting birds to show. They are rare enough now it's hard to find good competition.
I normally sell breeds that don't sell as well but these girls are such good producers I'll be using any leftovers for eggs.

This thread hasn't been very active. It's a shame. I got some nice quality Langshans last year. My great grandparents were one of the major importers of black langshans in 1883. They showed their birds and sold eggs all over the US. I got these in their honor.
I have no idea why on earth this bird has fallen out of favor. They are huge impressive birds that are the best layers I think I have. I have no mixed breed or hatchery crossed birds for fast laying.
At any rate their eggs are a deep beautiful brown. They lay very well and tend to be very broody. One thing I have noticed is their eggs are always clean. Even if I've allowed them to sit on them for the full 21 days the eggs are still pristine. They are excellent Moms and sitters as well. They boys have nice broad breasts and long legs. It's obvious this is a bird you would raise if you particularly were fond of white meat. The chicks didn't sell as well as some breeds I've had but I fail to see why. I think for the most part they've been forgotten.
I sold several pairs to people wanting birds to show. They are rare enough now it's hard to find good competition.
I normally sell breeds that don't sell as well but these girls are such good producers I'll be using any leftovers for eggs.

@chicken danz that’s so cool your GGP’s were OG importers, and what a lovely way to honor them! I have so much respect for this regal breed. I’ve been browsing around (alright I’ll be honest... obsessively looking) gathering knowledge & trying to see if the tendency to throw a plum colored bloom runs along bloodlines or not. I’d think it could make a difference to selectively breed for it... what are your experiences with that?

I've only seen slight plumb coloring in my experience. But there is definitely some there. One of my offspring (pullet) took grand champion this year. I didn't show it,but a person I sold pullets to sold them and the person she sold them to showed it. They came back for more from me this spring. They were really pleased.
I don't show birds, just try to breed for show in some breeds. It took me forever to find langshans and the ones I finally purchased weren't as good as I would have liked, but in time they have improved immensely. Just some culls had to go.

Back
Top Bottom