Hybrids are not a breed but they are the best anyways: A Hybrid thread.

Rangergord

Songster
Jan 22, 2021
British Columbia, Canada. Peace River Region.
My Coop
My Coop
This is a pro hybrid thread. If you think hybrids are the spawn of Satan kindly move along please. Hybrids cannot help but be the best because they combine at least two superior characteristics of at least two heirloom parents. I findit very interesting to observe how hybrids are being used in the UK to create a useful purpose for heirloom breeds. The heirloom is bred to SOP and is valued as the building blocks of new hybrids that have vigor, lay a lot of eggs and use feed more efficiently.

The page below does a good job of discussing the pros and cons of hybrids and heirlooms. Note the photo of a Cream Legbar and Barred Rock hybrid. https://cluckin.net/meet-the-hybrids.html

1639105064523.jpeg

Last edited:

Coloured Hybrid Range of Chickens​

Our range of 10 coloured hybrids are able to purchase from March1st through to Christmas as we have regular batches available at 17-21weeks old. All are reared to an excellent standard and are fully vaccinated.
They include dark brown, light brown, cream, white and blue egg layers.

The Poplar Copper Black
This hybrid is based upon the French copper Black Maran. They are a very docile medium sized bird which can produce up to 290* lovely dark brown eggs in their first season.

The Poplar Amber
The Amber hybrid is a medium sized attractive and docile bird and suitable if you are keeping chickens for the first time. They are very prolific birds which can produce up to 320* brown eggs in their first season.

Chickens for Sale The Poplar Amber

The Poplar Blue
This very popular hybrid is a very attractive bird with slate grey and blue colouring splashed with both copper and white on the neck. They can make large birds and can produce up to 290* light brown eggs in their first season.
Chickens for Sale The Poplar Blue
The Poplar Sussex
This hybrid is based on the traditional Light Sussex which is a well recognised bird within keeping chickens. They can make a large, docile and attractive bird with striking markings and can produce up to 290* light brown eggs in their first season.

The Poplar Black Rhode
This very popular hybrid based on the barred rock and rhode Island Red has distinctive iridescent feathering flecked with light copper. They are a medium sized bird which can produce up to 300* brown eggs in their first season.
Chickens for Sale The Poplar Black Rhode
The Poplar Speckled
This hybrid based on the barred Rock has distinct barred feathering, is a medium sized docile bird which mixes well. They can produce up to 290* brown eggs in their first season.
Chickens for Sale The Poplar Speckled

The Poplar Black Sussex
This hybrid is the reverse of the sussex hybrid with lovely iridescent feathering and a silvery white neck. They are a very docile, medium sized bird which can produce up to 290* brown eggs in their first season.

The Poplar Red Sussex
This hybrid is based upon the traditional Rhode Island Red, Light Sussex Cross. They are an attractive deep red coloured bird with black around their neck, wings and tail. They can produce up to 300* brown eggs in their first season.
Chickens for Sale The Poplar Red Sussex

The Cheshire Blue/Russet
This hybrid is bred using the Arucana. Available in either the white with black flecks or the buff version it is a small bird which produces blue and green eggs.
note: These birds are priced differently from other coloured hybrids

The Poplar White Leghorn
This hybrid based on the White Leghorn is a fantastic small to medium bird, although can be a little flighty when young they can produce up to 320* pure white large sized eggs in their first season.

* All egg numbers are a guide for information purposes.
https://www.littlemortonfarm.co.uk/chickens-for-sale/coloured-hybrid-chickens

Over the last few years I have kept a variety of heirloom and hybrid birds in my small laying flock. I was surprised at the difference in performance and productivity between the hybrids and Buff Orpingtons. I recently bought a couple Cream Legbar hens. They lay beautiful blue eggs about 1 day in two through out the year. The eggs are small. The new cream Legbar hybrid is called a Columbine . Superior in every way. Almost 300 eggs a year. The cream Legbar is still a rare heirloom. That’s not going to change. But the Cream Legbar is not going to disappear because it’s needed to create new hybrid blue egg layers.

Last edited:
Now I have seriously considered raising an Heirloom flock on my homestead. The problem is heirloom birds do not fit my needs and goals. Roosters are not part of my plan for example. I only want a very small flock and don’t have space to breed or reproduce birds. I also have no interest in butchering and culling the necessary birds. So heirlooms do not fit my modern lifestyle. Hybrids on the other hand are well suited to a flock of a handful of birds, that produce more eggs than you think is possible on less feed than you can imagine. No roosters. No Roosters!

Hybrid Chicken Breeds​

By John Harrison based on work by Katie Thear
Bovans Nera Hybrid Hen

Bovans Nera Hybrid Hen

Black Rock to the rear, Calder Ranger
to front

Hisex Ranger Flock

White Star Hybrid Hens

Hybrid Hens​

These are birds of mixed parents and grandparents which have been developed for production by selecting from the best strains. A strain is a family line which has a particularly desirable feature, as far as the breeder is concerned. This might be a good record of eggs laid, good shell quality or excellent feathering.
Examples of commercial laying hybrids are Hisex Brown and Babcock Brown 380. All the brown egg laying hybrids are based on the Rhode Island Red while the white egg layers are based on the White Leghorn.
Hybrids are generally the best choice for commercial production. Some have been bred for laying, while others are developed for the table. The latter are usually referred to as broilers. Initially developed for intensive battery and broiler conditions, hybrids have also been bred for free-range conditions.
The layers are slightly heavier at point-of-lay so that they are better equipped to cope with outside conditions. Examples include Black Rock, Bovans Nera, Hebden Black, Lohmann Brown, Speckledy, Hisex Ranger, Calder Ranger (originally Columbian Blacktail) and Babcock B380.
The most common, commercial table birds are the white feathered Cobb 500 and Ross broilers. These were bred for intensive conditions and grow quickly, although they do adapt to outside conditions.
Table breeds have also been specifically bred for free-range, and these grow more slowly and are white or brown feathered, although grey and other colours are also available, depending on the strain.
Free-range table breeds include strains of Hybro, Hubbard-ISA and Sasso. The range of different feather colouring depends on the male used.

Hybrid Free-Range Layers​

Babcock B380​

Bred for free-range, the brown feathered Babcock produces 300+ mid-brown eggs.

Black Rock​

This is a black sex-link cross of the Rhode Island Red and Barred Plymouth Rock, producing 280+ eggs. Although soft-feathered, it has been bred to some extent for tighter feathering to cope with rain.

Bovans Nera​

Another back sex-link of the same cross, bred for extensive conditions. Developed in the Netherlands, the birds produce 270-290 brown eggs. There is also a lighter Bovans Goldlinelaying 300+ eggs.

Calder Ranger​

Originally called Columbian Blacktail, this has been bred for docility, as well as for free-range conditions. Feathering is brown with black tail feathers. 290-300 eggs.

Hebden Black​

Another black sex-link bird of the RIR x BPR cross, the Hebden Black produces 260-270 dark brown eggs.

Hisex Ranger​

This has been developed for outside conditions and is slightly heavier than the Hisex Brown which is also popular for commercial free-range. Egg numbers are 290-300.

Lohmann Brown​

A docile layer of around 290-300 light brown eggs.There is also a Lohmann Tradition. Both are bred for free-range.

Speckledy​

This is a commercial hybrid based on the Maran to produce around 290 brown, speckled eggs.

White Star​

Based on the White Leghorn, this lays 300 + white eggs.

Speckledy Hen

https://www.chickens.allotment-gard...or-pure-breed-chickens/hybrid-chicken-breeds/

Another informative page

Obviously I am headed all hybrid with my flock this year. I hope to find someone to buy my two cream Legbar hens. Maybe someone who can find a Cream Legbar rooster from a different clan or create a useful new hybrid. What would you breed them with if you were a breeder?

I really wish I could obtain hybrid POL pullets in small numbers reliably in my area. I live too far away from the hatchery to easily pick them up. I can order in a minimum number of 25 chicks into my local post office. I have been watching the Kijiji listings in the region and I would have to drive a long ways to find any other options.

So I will place an order for 25 pullets. I will have to sell most of them because my winter coop is limited to 8 birds. I have heard that there is plenty of demand for POL pullets locally. Local prices are high, as are costs. Have any of you raised POL pullets for sale? Did you find willing buyers easily?

Here are the four adult hens... I'll have to get updated pics of the hybrids tomorrow (one of the hens is extremely un photogenic so I had to attach two pics of her) I had more hybrids but a fox killed them in october😔

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_074856.jpg
    IMG_20211117_074856.jpg
    834.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20211123_145639.jpg
    IMG_20211123_145639.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211123_132559.jpg
    IMG_20211123_132559.jpg
    926.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20211117_074921.jpg
    IMG_20211117_074921.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211023_095042_1.jpg
    IMG_20211023_095042_1.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 6
In this area the ISA brown red sex link dominates the market. So the ISA brown is the hybrid I have raised. They are impressive birds. I am keeping my hens in tractors during the summer and the ISA have been champs. I have two other hybrid choices available to me . Red Sussex cross and Black Rock cross. Dual purpose hybrids. From Millers hatchery. https://www.millerhatcheries.com/Poultry/dualpurposebreeds/RROCK
I think both of these hybrid strains originated in the UK. I want birds that will be useful to other people who tend to like ISA browns. Thinking of trying them both at the same time? Is that a problem?

Back
Top Bottom