Second Generation Muscovy Hybrids: Haldane's Rule & Hybrid Genetics

I was actually asking about the 2-3% thing. What I was wondering is, are you saying if I have a drake from a MD drake x Muscovy hen cross and breed it to hens 2-3% of the eggs will be fertile or are you saying 2-3% of drakes from this cross are fertile?
There's a 20%-30% chance of the eggs from the crossed mating being fertile according to another thread that I found about mules and hinnies. I'm not sure which she was referring to. :confused:

I was actually asking about the 2-3% thing. What I was wondering is, are you saying if I have a drake from a MD drake x Muscovy hen cross and breed it to hens 2-3% of the eggs will be fertile or are you saying 2-3% of drakes from this cross are fertile?
After re-reading, she probably means that there's a 2%-3% chance of the F1 offspring being fertile.

That seems accurate, the species are definitely fairly different. The males being more likely to be fertile doesn't mean that all or even most of them will be, it only means that it's possible. I'd definitely have to hatch out a lot and be subject to a lot of trial and error here. I've only just started planning this, so I'm not too worried yet. We'll see what I have the space and the money and the time for next year.

My best bet is probably getting a hen or two now like I mentioned earlier, and just trying to hatch out a few when I can.

There's a 20%-30% chance of the eggs from the crossed mating being fertile according to another thread that I found about mules and hinnies. I'm not sure which she was referring to. :confused:
Only female hinnies will lay eggs, mule females will not.
Of the ones that lay, you have a 2/3% change they could be fertile (if mated with a fertile drake).

Only female hinnies will lay eggs, mule females will not.
Of the ones that lay, you have a 2/3% change they could be fertile (if mated with a fertile drake).
So are hinnies the MD drake x Muscovy hen cross? If so, I was told by another member that the hens have no chance of being fertile but will lay small eggs. My hen from this cross is already laying very small eggs.
50673338_1138098293039361_8851218150063079424_n.jpg

I am very confused now, I thought it was just the drakes from this cross that have a chance to be fertile.

So are hinnies the MD drake x Muscovy hen cross? If so, I was told by another member that the hens have no chance of being fertile but will lay small eggs. My hen from this cross is already laying very small eggs.

I am very confused now, I thought it was just the drakes from this cross that have a chance to be fertile.
Typically, the Drakes have a much higher chance. Apparently, the hinnies in this cross have a slight chance as well.

In my experience their eggs aren't much smaller than pure muscovy. They start off small like with any new layer

Mine are extremely small and have not gotten any bigger. To be clear I am talking about a first generation hen from the cross of a mallard derived drake and a muscovy hen. They are the smallest eggs I get. Not much bigger than a bantam egg. I will find the thread where I was told they are not fertile, the person who told me got the information from some book I think.

You had me curious so I just checked the Duck Bible, Storey’s Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread. It says that hybrids produced by a Muscovy drake x Mallard-derived-female are large, infertile and usually do not lay. But, “Mallard-derived-drake x Muscovy female produces offspring that take approximately 5 weeks to hatch and have considerable size difference between the sexes. The resulting hybrid females usually lay small eggs that do not hatch. Males from this cross are sometimes fertile.”
Love the pictures btw!
Here is the post that I was told this information in.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hybrid-hen-is-laying-eggs.1290370/
here is the thread. I originally did not know hybrid hens could lay or be fertile.

Back
Top Bottom