Hybrids are not a breed but they are the best anyways: A Hybrid thread.

Obviously I am headed all hybrid with my flock this year. I hope to find someone to buy my two cream Legbar hens. Maybe someone who can find a Cream Legbar rooster from a different clan or create a useful new hybrid. What would you breed them with if you were a breeder?

I really wish I could obtain hybrid POL pullets in small numbers reliably in my area. I live too far away from the hatchery to easily pick them up. I can order in a minimum number of 25 chicks into my local post office. I have been watching the Kijiji listings in the region and I would have to drive a long ways to find any other options.

So I will place an order for 25 pullets. I will have to sell most of them because my winter coop is limited to 8 birds. I have heard that there is plenty of demand for POL pullets locally. Local prices are high, as are costs. Have any of you raised POL pullets for sale? Did you find willing buyers easily?
I hatch and sell Rhode Island Reds a few times a year. The only advertising I do is through the market bulletin which is published through the state agricultural department. I’ve never kept a pullet longer than 2 months. People love a bird that’s gonna give them an egg!

My California White (California Grey male x White Leghorn female), is an absolute MACHINE for the production of 65g, white eggs.

This week is the first time in almost exactly a year since she started laying that she's missed 2 days in a row and before early October she had not missed more than 4-5 days ever.

Have any of you raised POL pullets for sale? Did you find willing buyers easily?

I have only done this casually -- ordering more birds than I need then selling the extras as I choose my preferred birds. I can get about $10/bird for started pullets of 6-12 weeks or so and $15 for POL pullets.

But that's for hatchery birds of known breed. I will not be able to sell "backyard mix" birds from my own flock for that much.

It doesn't make a profit, but it does offset some of the costs.

I have only done this casually -- ordering more birds than I need then selling the extras as I choose my preferred birds. I can get about $10/bird for started pullets of 6-12 weeks or so and $15 for POL pullets.

But that's for hatchery birds of known breed. I will not be able to sell "backyard mix" birds from my own flock for that much.

It doesn't make a profit, but it does offset some of the costs.
That’s exactly what I would be doing. Cover the costs of obtaining my own POL flock. I can easily get $25 CDN a bird so if they live and sell easily the costs will be covered.

In this area the ISA brown red sex link dominates the market. So the ISA brown is the hybrid I have raised. They are impressive birds. I am keeping my hens in tractors during the summer and the ISA have been champs. I have two other hybrid choices available to me . Red Sussex cross and Black Rock cross. Dual purpose hybrids. From Millers hatchery. https://www.millerhatcheries.com/Poultry/dualpurposebreeds/RROCK
I think both of these hybrid strains originated in the UK. I want birds that will be useful to other people who tend to like ISA browns. Thinking of trying them both at the same time? Is that a problem?

You might want to check this thread

Isa Brown vs Amberlink: Understanding the Genetics behind them.​

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...derstanding-the-genetics-behind-them.1322163/

I have a hybrid project of my own I've just started, using barred rock and aruacana (New Zealand type which to be frank is pretty darn hybridized itself). I have my first 3 chicks from this cross this year, and my next hatch is a round of aruacana eggs to bump up my hen numbers and color range. So far, I'm super happy with my results.

The plan is to keep a barred rock rooster (currently have) and an aruacana rooster (will select from aruacana hatch) so all my stock will be either 50/50 or 75/25 of those two breeds, which will hopefully maintain the vigor without regression.

Attachments

• 20211203_120143.jpg
    20211203_120143.jpg
    937.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211127_190040.jpg
    20211127_190040.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 1
I have a hybrid project of my own I've just started, using barred rock and aruacana (New Zealand type which to be frank is pretty darn hybridized itself). I have my first 3 chicks from this cross this year, and my next hatch is a round of aruacana eggs to bump up my hen numbers and color range. So far, I'm super happy with my results.

The plan is to keep a barred rock rooster (currently have) and an aruacana rooster (will select from aruacana hatch) so all my stock will be either 50/50 or 75/25 of those two breeds, which will hopefully maintain the vigor without regression.
Thanks Fatbluecat. I would certainly be interested in hearing about the performance numbers of your new hybrids as you discover them!

Thanks Fatbluecat. I would certainly be interested in hearing about the performance numbers of your new hybrids as you discover them!

I will definitely keep you posted! I only have 2 pullets (and 1 cockeral) so far from the cross, although probably will get another round of chicks in autumn. The barred rock genetics I am using are very productive (but boy can they eat) so I have high hopes. I only raise from broodies so they get to choose how many batches I get in a year!

Back
Top Bottom