Chicken Breed Focus - Leghorn

None of my white leghorns have been flighty to the point of flying over a fence. I just haven't had a mean one either. They are always the first to come up to me...wanting treats, or, I have to be careful not to step on them..they squat right in front of me all of the time. I really have to be careful with this one I have now, and one of her daughters. The daughter is a mix with an EE. She squats as soon as she hears my voice..lol. Or sees me coming. It's pretty funny. Now, since they would be...easy...I need another rooster!

None of my white leghorns have been flighty to the point of flying over a fence.  I just haven't had a mean one either.   They are always the first to come up to me...wanting treats, or, I have to be careful not to step on them..they squat right in front of me all of the time.  I really have to be careful with this one I have now, and one of her daughters.  The daughter is a mix with an EE.  She squats as soon as she hears my voice..lol.  Or sees me coming.  It's pretty funny.  Now, since they would be...easy...I need another rooster! 

Wow that's great! So why do people think they're so flighty then??

And lol my australorps squat a lot

I guess some are. I only ..usually have one at a time. I have a hen and a pullet right now. The pullet is acting like most of my pullets. Scared of me until they get close to laying, then, they start letting me get closer and closer. Then, once they lay, a completely different bird. Very friendly. Did you see my photos a couple of pages back? Always at the door, or under foot..or on my leg if I am sitting. :)

I guess some are.  I only ..usually have one at a time.  I have a hen and a pullet right now. The pullet is acting like most of my pullets.  Scared of me until they get close to laying, then, they start letting me get closer and closer.  Then, once they lay, a completely different bird.  Very friendly.  Did you see my photos a couple of pages back?  Always at the door, or under foot..or on my leg if I am sitting.  :) 

Ohhh that makes sense but wow that's awesome they get friendlier! Maybe if I got one mine would do that too!

And no, I don't think I saw it :( I'll have to go look for it! It sounds adorable haha

Do you own Leghorns? Are you a Leghorn breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

We have always had white leghorns. Actually, at times I feel like a lone voice defending them here. I feel like many people have misconceptions regarding these birds.

What made you decide to get this breed?
We actually got our first leghorns because they were the only chicks at tractor supply that day. Now we will never be without them.

Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
All of our hens are for fun, but the leghorns have always been my favorites. They are incredible layers. 360 eggs last yeaf from my Daisy. I just had to keep track with the run she was on. I had to bring them inside when we had a blizzard last Feb and she laid all three days she was in the house. Just incredible layers.

What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
They are definately smart. I have seen them reason out situations. They are always my alpha hen. I tell my wife Daisy is a benevolent dictator. While other hens are much more aggresive defending their positions in the pecking order, Daisy (and my other leading leghorns) aren't aggressive towards the others.

I have been able to teach them tricks. They are friendly, will hop in my lap (see photo below). Always come running when i come outside. They can fly, but rarely do. I haven't clipped wings in years and they never try to fly over my 6 foot perimeter fence.

Theh have always been my quietest hens. My others make much more noise. They do love to dust bathe. For white birds they live to be dirty.

Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Here are some Pictures of Daisy

This is daisy as a pullet with Elphie on the right. Daisy did fly a lot when she was young.

Daisy was not willing to wait for me to give her treats. She went in and got her own after knocking the bag over.

Mashed potato face

Last edited:
summer, seeing those combs, I can't tell you all how many folks have seen my girls and said, oh..there's a rooster! Because they do get some pretty big combs..some are bigger than others. :)

Back
Top Bottom