Chicken Breed Focus - Leghorn

Pics
I'm still working on one handed photos with my kindle. It's so hard! I had to actually have someone help me take pics of my girls! Will post pics soon!

Here are my pics!
They help themselves to the food all the time!
1f612.png

What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? I have them for the eggs.

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? Small, don't eat as much as the large chickens and are awesome layers. I wish they weren't so skittish.

·

Guinealeghorn, self-feeding is another of their positive characteristics! ;)

great photos. thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
What made you decide to get this breed?
I've been around chickens most of my life and have owned more than 100 breeds at different times. Leghorns are my favorite. Got into them because my grandma had them and she got me into chickens.

Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
All the above. They are fun. Love breeding the different colors and breeding for new colors/patterns. Do sell chicks, hatching and eating eggs at times and have shown them.

What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
They lay more eggs then any breed. Start laying younger and do it all on less feed. They are known to be flighty which I really like because as someone else mentioned they do great at free ranging and staying alive.

We have a few rose combs. Lt brown, dk brown and isabella.
Straight comb. Lt brown, isabella, white, bk tailed red, buff, silver, barred, mille fleur, exchequer, black and some projects.
Moonshiner, what part of MO do you live in? I'd be interested in buying hatching eggs when one of my hens goes broody again.....

Guinealeghorn, self-feeding is another of their positive characteristics! ;)

great photos. thanks for sharing.
I still have to close the feed bags, or I would go through a bag a day! They lay near the food so they don't have to go so far! Still, we get about seven eggs a day.

I just had someone warn me away from Leghorns. He said that they are greedy and get so fat their legs break!. Has that happened to anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom