Chicken Breed Focus - Maline

Pics
I just got 18 of these chicks last week from GFF.

I am so excited to grow these, breed them, and use the extra roo's for meat. Next year of course.

One of my Bantam Malines hens :)

I think because its local only they are being sold for less? I don't think most people know what they are. She sells several show quality breeds as well. But I have no idea I am no bird expert. Here is a photo of her birds.

My main concern for this very rare breed is the lack of numbers. Continuously mating birds from the same bloodline can bring about issues of concern. Only a professional breeder such as Greenfire farms knows how to handle offspring mating to insure these issues are contained. Its not that easy to purchase another rooster or set of hens to breed with the stock you own. I would gladly donate a few of my birds to someone I trust would breed them properly. I wouldn't just market them to the average person. But, its not my call!
roll.png

Hmm, I have several breeds including the Malines. My 3rd year working with them and their demeanor is not on my favorite pet list! Ha ha. Not to say they don't have a docile side to them, but I never considered a meat bird as a pet. These birds were Europe's meat bird before the introduction of the Cornish cross after world war 2. Disease left them almost wiped out and it has been a salvage mission ever since to revitalize them in numbers and in quality. Enjoy!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom