Chicken Breed Focus - Maline

Hi everyone! I've had Malines before and unfortunately my last 2 were taken by a fox. Now after two years and only having one predator loss I'm in the market for a trio or quad of this fantastic breed. I'm in Ontario. Close to Peterborough if anyone has any please message me! Thanks

DSCN0002.JPG

66822478_10157043481131075_3047728867918741504_n_10157043481121075.jpg
67276404_10157043481191075_5515880477954670592_n_10157043481171075.jpg
67358111_10157043481161075_5130486383810445312_n_10157043481156075.jpg
We just got Malines. They seem to have the fowl neck birds as they can turn their heads 360 degrees.

I obtained a barred rock rooster but once we got him we saw he has feathers on the feet and now suspect he is either cross with Malines or is a malines with someone assuming he was barred rock. Also the chicks I hatched from this rooster half of the chicks were hatched with feathers on their feet.

We went to a local show looking for barred rock chicks and found Malines. After talking with the breeder we decided on the Malines for their size and temperment. My cousin is also getting malines and mainly for the same reasons. We do have plymouth rock breeds and rhode island reds but will built to just malines in the future.

Not sure if this is still being responded to but we bought 18 chickens from Big R! First time 9, then 9 more.. except first batch we got 5 yellow chicks and 4 black, and when we came back, the rest were back so... 13 black chicks total.. I’ll add some photos but ARE THE YELLOW CHICKS MALINE TOO? Thanks

Also I have to admit not sure if the black ones are Maline BUT they do look ALOT like Maline... I’ll add another photo in a few minutes, obviously they’re cold lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Not sure if this is still being responded to but we bought 18 chickens from Big R! First time 9, then 9 more.. except first batch we got 5 yellow chicks and 4 black, and when we came back, the rest were back also... 13 black chicks total.. I’ll add some photos but ARE THE YELLOW CHICKS MALINE TOO? Thanks

Also I have to admit not sure if the black ones are Maline BUT they do look ALOT like Maline... I’ll add another photo in a few minutes, obviously they’re cold lol
The yellow chicks are not Malines, but they are cute.

Not sure if this is still being responded to but we bought 18 chickens from Big R! First time 9, then 9 more.. except first batch we got 5 yellow chicks and 4 black, and when we came back, the rest were back so... 13 black chicks total.. I’ll add some photos but ARE THE YELLOW CHICKS MALINE TOO? Thanks

The last Malines chicks I received were either dark gray to almost black, those were the hens. The lighter gray chicks are usually roos. Not sure who Big R is. Malines breeders in the states are few and far between. Hope this helps

Hi. We took a straight run of unrelated chicks, and of the three types we received, malines are our favourite. They are docile, calm, quiet, and happy. They are huge! They take longer to develop and lay eggs, but are easy to keep and are sturdy. We would really like to buy some more chicks, because we ended up with only two hens. If you want a handsome, gentle rooster and love watching a big loaf chase grasshoppers, these are the chickens for you!

QUOTE="Denwendairy, post: 15402581, member: 288511"]
We hatched Malines this spring and have fallen in love with these birds. The eggs we hatched were massive, jumbo at least. The chicks were very strong and have sweet, docile personalities. We plan on keeping some of the better females to breed next spring and hatch chicks to grow for meat and to expand our little flock. Will be looking for an unrelated roo or hatching eggs for the spring 2016. We are located just outside of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Current line is from Triple J but lineage goes back to Bulbs of Fire.
We just shipped our first cockerels for processing this morning. Looking forward to seeing how they turned out when we pick them up tomorrow!
[/QUOTE]

You can’t go by colour of feathers or feet. Malines aren’t even all cuckoo. That’s just the preferred kind because they are autosexing. They have feathered feet.

QUOTE="KonekoChan528, post: 15406401, member: 329036"]
So how do you tell exactly the difference between BR and this breed? Some say the color of the legs but I have 2 BR's and they dont have yellow legs they have gray legs.
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom