Chicken Breed Focus - New Hampshire

I own thme for fun.

I have a rooster who is sweeter then the hens and I have made a pretty big relationship with him.Really big size....

My family joined a pilot program in Elgin, IL to keep backyard hens (up to 4 hens, no roosters). After building our coop (per city code), I went down to the Midwest Heritage Poultry conference in Silex MO and picked up 3 New Hampshire 13 week pullets from a local breeder.

Not knowing a lot about poultry, the selection was more about their appearance and trusting the knowledge & experience of the breeder rather than anything else.

That said, the hens have been really great. They are gentle, friendly, and pretty quiet. I find it amazing how they just go up into the coop all by themselves when it gets dark and go to sleep on the roost. Then come down in the morning and scratch in the run. They have their own little routine.

I'm surprised at how much they eat, given their size and how quickly they mature. No eggs yet, but perhaps in another few weeks. It's a shame we can't do breeding and develop a better flock on our own given city restraints, but it is good practice nonetheless for life in retirement on a farm later on.

New Hampshire's are one of my favorite breeds! The hens are good layers and very docile so make great pets. The roosters grow out well, and make great meat birds if you are looking for a tasty alternative to the Cornish X.
For those looking to purchase NH's I recommend getting them from a local breeder, as hatchery quality NH's can vary substantially in both color (from dark red with black speckles to buff) and size.

New Hampshire's are one of my favorite breeds! The hens are good layers and very docile so make great pets. The roosters grow out well, and make great meat birds if you are looking for a tasty alternative to the Cornish X.
For those looking to purchase NH's I recommend getting them from a local breeder, as hatchery quality NH's can vary substantially in both color (from dark red with black speckles to buff) and size.

How long does it generally take for the roos to come to decent table weight?

LofMc

Ditto. 4-6 weeks is the ideal time to butcher. How you raise them also plays a big factor on how long it takes to grow them out.

4-6 WEEKS!?
ep.gif
th.gif
Shouldn't there be a "1" in front of both those #s? These birds are NOT meaties, and mine didn't reach full size until well after 16 weeks, and they first laid eggs around 22 weeks. If yours were ready for table at 6 weeks, they probably (almost assuredly) weren't New Hampshires.

Back
Top Bottom