Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

When Goldie was a baby chick

smile.png
Having just added to my flock one little silver Sebright that is a pullet of 8 weeks this thread has been very interesting to read. Thank you everyone for the insight with pro's and cons. I have to say I adopted her with a Silver Lacewing and the same time that is three times her size.. and the Sebright is the aggressor of the two. They just came out of quarantine this weekend. and the Sebright has put herself up HIGH in the pecking order. She has stood up to the Hopper, the TOP Buff hen who outweighs them all in the flock. I have thought of free ranging them all once the garden is finished and harvested but from what I read the Sebight will need to have her Primary's clipped to keep her grounded. Thanks again everyone and this really is a fun forum for learning.
My rooster free ranges with the rest of the flock and i haven't had any problems with him flying off. However, he must have traveled far from whoever owned him before me since no one within a 10mi radius of where he was found claimed him. Kinda like with the mystery peacock that showed up in my yard last month, I just make sure to feed him well, give him a safe place and hens, and so far he's stuck around (almost a year now). I guess there's really no way to tell if they're going to take off or stick around, though, and the possibility is always there if you let them free range.

We got a young rooster from the local feed store and was told he is a sebright. Everything matches up except he has a straight comb not a rosy comb. He is a wonderful little guy who comes inside at night and sleeps next to the three girls that have grown up sleeping inside. He has a cute crow and he also calls the girls over when there is food available. During the day he free ranges with the rest of the flock, gets along with the other roosters and doesn't run when you come near. Definitely a good addition to our flock and hope that eventually we will get some good offspring from him.

We got a young rooster from the local feed store and was told he is a sebright. Everything matches up except he has a straight comb not a rosy comb. He is a wonderful little guy who comes inside at night and sleeps next to the three girls that have grown up sleeping inside. He has a cute crow and he also calls the girls over when there is food available. During the day he free ranges with the rest of the flock, gets along with the other roosters and doesn't run when you come near. Definitely a good addition to our flock and hope that eventually we will get some good offspring from him.
He sure has the markings and stature of a Sebright. I wonder if he is a mix with really dominant Sebright genes?

We own and breed them! Only gold at moment, silver to come soon... Currently have 9, 4 roos and 5 hens whom we let free range within our main fenced area, they return to their coops each evening where we lock them up...

· What made you decide to get this breed?

Their visual appeal drew us, now their sweet personalities keep us...

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

Fun and breeding!

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?

Color and temperament...

· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We own and breed them! Only gold at moment, silver to come soon... Currently have 9, 4 roos and 5 hens whom we let free range within our main fenced area, they return to their coops each evening where we lock them up...

· What made you decide to get this breed?

Their visual appeal drew us, now their sweet personalities keep us...

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

Fun and breeding!

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?

Color and temperament...

· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Those are handsome roosters! They have a lot of black in their feathers (which I think looks cool
smile.png
). What age are they?

Those are handsome roosters! They have a lot of black in their feathers (which I think looks cool
smile.png
). What age are they?
In that picture, a few months, they are just now getting taller than mommy...And yes, lots of black, I likey too!!!!! And thank you!

My other 2 Sebrights both layed today! All 3 hens I have had layed by 5.5 months old. The first to lay is giving us a perfect little white egg everyday. Hopefully the others will do the same! A lot of people told me don't expect eggs from them till next spring and very few at that.....so far they all have been wrong.

Back
Top Bottom