Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Would the Seabrights be thought of as a game bird? People talk about how tiny seabrights pick fights with much larger roosters and how they tend to be more aggressive to other breeds. Sounds like they have a lot of the game bird personality, just in a tiny package.

Would the Seabrights be thought of as a game bird? People talk about how tiny seabrights pick fights with much larger roosters and how they tend to be more aggressive to other breeds. Sounds like they have a lot of the game bird personality, just in a tiny package.
What you describe has not be my experience with Sebrights at all. Mine tend to be very docile yet excitable. They are active but not agressive. While there are bantam game birds I would not class Sebrights with them.

We allow ours to free range, mainly because our ratio is WAY out of whack 3hens and 4roos and we want them having room to get away from each other if necessary...Turns out, they are so sweet and docile, we're going to keep all of them until we can get more hens or they stop getting along...Point I wanted to make was, they free range and interact, within each run, with sultans, polish, pultans and silkies(as well as ducks that free range with them)...We haven't had any problems even with all those males...

All animals are individuals, and there are different strains, but I've always considered by sebrights to be game-birds in personality. Earlier, one of my young sebright mixes was trying to fight with a standard cochin cockerel. He was doing a pretty good job too!
smile.png

All animals are individuals, and there are different strains, but I've always considered by sebrights to be game-birds in personality. Earlier, one of my young sebright mixes was trying to fight with a standard cochin cockerel. He was doing a pretty good job too!
smile.png

Sort of like "it's not the size of the bird in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the bird", lol.

Sort of like "it's not the size of the bird in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the bird", lol.
Oh I tell you what our little Gold laced sebright roo is a spitfire. He's alotta fire in a teeny tiny package. He'll attack anything and everything that'll walk by him. The girls on the other hand will come and sit on your foot for numnums.

Last edited:
Oh I tell you what our little Gold laced sebright roo is a spitfire. He's alotta fire in a teeny tiny package. He'll attack anything and everything that'll walk by him. The girls on the other hand will come and sit on your foot for numnums.
My Silver is like that. I think Sebrights are the most rooster of roosters short of actual fighting birds. Spunky and full of himself.

Back
Top Bottom