Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
RIP MY GOLDIE
sad.png

I'm sorry you lost your Goldie, that's always tough.
hugs.gif

My little Sebright (named Trouble) has such an intense personality. Although not a cuddler, she enjoys following me as well as landing on me. Often she flies up into the tree, so she can see me at eye level. I brought Trouble in the house one night to meet my visiting sister. After hearing all about my rambunctious Sebright, the darn bird falls asleep in my sister's hands. Now, no one believes me about how hyper & active a Sebright is. LOL

Anyway, does anyone know how long it takes for the toes to turn gray? I'm beginning to wonder if Trouble will always have a couple pink tips on her toes. A few of my orp chicks hatched with some pink toes, but they all darkened as they matured. I am hoping that is the case with sebrights.

My little Sebright (named Trouble) has such an intense personality. Although not a cuddler, she enjoys following me as well as landing on me. Often she flies up into the tree, so she can see me at eye level. I brought Trouble in the house one night to meet my visiting sister. After hearing all about my rambunctious Sebright, the darn bird falls asleep in my sister's hands. Now, no one believes me about how hyper & active a Sebright is. LOL

Anyway, does anyone know how long it takes for the toes to turn gray? I'm beginning to wonder if Trouble will always have a couple pink tips on her toes. A few of my orp chicks hatched with some pink toes, but they all darkened as they matured. I am hoping that is the case with sebrights.

I love the name Trouble.
smile.png

I don't know how long it takes to change, but a lot of my dark colored hens have light toes probably because their hatchery quality and not breeder quality.

I love the name Trouble.
smile.png

I don't know how long it takes to change, but a lot of my dark colored hens have light toes probably because their hatchery quality and not breeder quality.
Thanks.

I got her as an egg off Craigslist for my daughter's science experiment. I didn't plan on keeping any of the "results," so I did not ask for particular breeds. She could be hatchery quality. They had six different breeding pens so I got an adorable assortment.

What made you decide to get this breed? We were drawn to this breed due to its size, striking appearance and it's fascinating background regarding genetics. Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? We wanted our three girls to have a rooster. They are standard hens so we know he most likely can't get the job done when it comes to fertilizing eggs (although he tries!). Our alpha hen has relaxed a lot since we introduced him even though he just spends about an hour a day with the girls they seem to know he is near. We did not want to get a large rooster having a smaller size back yard and also did not want a large boy overmating our three hens and causing injury. We have really fallen in love with the breed so we are looking to add a Sebright girl to our flock next spring so our rooster will have a size appropriate girl. What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? He is absolutely a doll! He is a Mama's boy and always wants to be where I am, if he can't find me then he will seek out my husband and chill with him. He loves to chirp, chatter and flap his wings, just very animated. He is a devoted guardian of the home and runs to check out any door that opens. If he perceives a threat he will cry out and guard the doors. There is not a mean bone in his body when it comes to us, our cat or the hens. We keep him in the house and he has really turned into an amazing house pet. While visiting his girls he flirts with them, dust bathes and finds foraged food to share. As far as crowing goes he has about three bouts a day of uncontrollable cock-a-doodles, other then that he just quietly chatters or does alert cries if a bird flies by outside or the neighbors stupid Subaru ricer is shaking the house. After the girls go to bed he flies up on our shoulder and comes inside and heads to his cage to sleep for the night! Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc! Here is our Stewart playing with my fabric scraps. He looks like he is ready for a party! :) Stewart loves to sit on the back of my sewing chair or the back of my husbands computer chair and observe.

Back
Top Bottom