Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Thank you.  Mine are only 6 weeks old, and I'm excited to see how they will look in a few months.

We had the privilege of meeting a gal who breeds Sebrights at the poultry show in Vancouver, WA last weekend. Found her though this site, Silseb. She gave us some good information on care. She keeps hers inside or in a temperature controlled coop if outside. She said they are very sensitive to cold so keep that in mind. We asked her about lifespan and she said she had one live to 18. Sebrights can really fly. Stewart has already got up to some 10 feet high places in our house jumping straight up off the ground. She recommended a solid roof run when they have outside time and they are definitely easy pickings for predators.

Was just emptying out my camera and found some other great shots. The ones of him in the window sill looking outside were taken last friday. I think he is working on getting his last set of feathers as I am still finding some adolescent feathers around the house daily. The ones taken outside were a month ago.

Can anyone here tell me if this chicken in the foreground is a sebright or just a mutt? and what color if so? I clipped her wings, but she usually holds them like I see in pictures of other sebrights. Reminds me of how a turkey struts. I really suck at identifying breeds!! Never really worried about what breed of chickens I had before I came to this forum lol!!

Last edited:
Can anyone here tell me if this chicken in the foreground is a sebright or just a mutt? and what color if so? I clipped her wings, but she usually holds them like I see in pictures of other sebrights. Reminds me of how a turkey struts. I really suck at identifying breeds!! Never really worried about what breed of chickens I had before I came to this forum lol!!
Possibly a Sebright mix. The head configuration is pretty accurate. The color, if sebright, would be what is referred to as Buff. Her legs and feed are way out of configuration though. If Sebright they would be grey with no patching.

Possibly a Sebright mix. The head configuration is pretty accurate. The color, if sebright, would be what is referred to as Buff. Her legs and feed are way out of configuration though. If Sebright they would be grey with no patching.
I thought buff was more of a yellowy-tan color? Which now that I look at that pic, the lighting does kinda distort her color. Sorry, had chickens most of my life but they were mostly mixes, so I am new to identifying breeds and colors! I think she is so pretty! but "real" sebrights sure do have some gorgeous plumage! She looks small, but let me tell you, she is solid muscle, she is so stout for such a little thing!! I got her out of a bin of assorted bantams at the local feed store, so not much telling what she really is I guess. She is definitely a character tho, her name is Spunkers, because she is so spunky. Thanks for the info!! Learn something new everyday on this forum!

I thought buff was more of a yellowy-tan color? Which now that I look at that pic, the lighting does kinda distort her color.   Sorry, had chickens most of my life but they were mostly mixes, so I am new to identifying breeds and colors! I think she is so pretty!  but "real" sebrights sure do have some gorgeous plumage! She looks small, but let me tell you, she is solid muscle, she is so stout for such a little thing!! I got her out of a bin of assorted bantams at the local feed store, so not much telling what she really is I guess.  She is definitely a character tho, her name is Spunkers, because she is so spunky. Thanks for the info!!  Learn something new everyday on this forum!

Definitely some sort of mix but she is a cutie. Very unique feathers. How old is she?

Was just emptying out my camera and found some other great shots. The ones of him in the window sill looking outside were taken last friday. I think he is working on getting his last set of feathers as I am still finding some adolescent feathers around the house daily. The ones taken outside were a month ago.

I think Trouble is in love.
love.gif

She's 3.5 mo old. Still waiting for comb & wattles to develop.

Back
Top Bottom