Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Hi folks! I am new to Sebrights and love to play with genetics, so I am looking into getting some silvers and golds both. I found 2 Goldens in the Tractor Supply brood last week and have been bitten by the Sebright bug. lol

My question to you folks.....I have been on the Chicken Calculator tinkering around trying to get citron. I must be missing something, but I can only seem to get citron males in my attempts. I have tried Silver over Gold = males only split to gold. I tried Gold over Silver and still get only males split to gold. How do you get hens??? I rebred the citron males back to mom and then tried back to the other color and can only get males. I love the citron color and would love to breed my own...I am bull headed that way. I love genetics and have bred both chickens and cockatiels for years. I find it amazing. But I just can't seem to understand how to get a citron hen to breed to these males. Any help would be awesome. Thx!

Hi folks! I am new to Sebrights and love to play with genetics, so I am looking into getting some silvers and golds both. I found 2 Goldens in the Tractor Supply brood last week and have been bitten by the Sebright bug. lol

My question to you folks.....I have been on the Chicken Calculator tinkering around trying to get citron. I must be missing something, but I can only seem to get citron males in my attempts. I have tried Silver over Gold = males only split to gold. I tried Gold over Silver and still get only males split to gold. How do you get hens??? I rebred the citron males back to mom and then tried back to the other color and can only get males. I love the citron color and would love to breed my own...I am bull headed that way. I love genetics and have bred both chickens and cockatiels for years. I find it amazing. But I just can't seem to understand how to get a citron hen to breed to these males. Any help would be awesome. Thx!
This is an old posting from a breeder here on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/658039/citron-sebright-hatching-eggs

The member is still active. You might try contacting them, to see if they can give you some info.

Best of luck to you!

Sebright question: there is no sign of a comb on my 4 week old Golden Sebright. Is this an indication that this is a pullet? When do combs usually start to show with this breed, and is there a marked difference early on between cockerels and pullets?

Thanks!
Could be. My female had no comb at that age. It didn''t have any color until she neared laying her 1st egg.

Could be. My female had no comb at that age. It didn''t have any color until she neared laying her 1st egg.
Thank you. I am new to Sebrights, so any information is helpful.
thumbsup.gif

I allowed my broody Sebright to hatch a pair of eggs, one hers amd one from my other female Sebright. I only have a Sebright cock, so the chicks are definitely 100% Sebright all 3 are golden. This one Pictured has a head that is copper like a golden, but the fuzzy body almost looks like it will be silver, anyone have any opinions to offer on the subject? I am just hatching for personal flock growth, so I'm not highly invested, just curious.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom