Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

I allowed my broody Sebright to hatch a pair of eggs, one hers amd one from my other female Sebright. I only have a Sebright cock, so the chicks are definitely 100% Sebright all 3 are golden. This one Pictured has a head that is copper like a golden, but the fuzzy body almost looks like it will be silver, anyone have any opinions to offer on the subject? I am just hatching for personal flock growth, so I'm not highly invested, just curious.
How did your chick turn out?

At what age will they start hatching babies?
I read that Sebrights rarely go broody..... but my Sebright (Trouble) can't read. I think she started laying at 5-6 mo. It was winter. She 1st went broody when it warmed up in spring, again in late summer, then again the following March, again in mid June, and she's even thinking about it right now! She just left her 12 wk old chicks last week. I keep finding Trouble trying to lay eggs inside the garage.

Cool Im hoping for some babies. Im getting a golden hen and she will be covered by a silver roo it sounds like some people have been getting creative w breeding
what colored babies do you think Ill get?

At what age will they start hatching babies?

Depends on the individual hen. Some sebrights don't ever go broody, others like to start young, almost immediately after laying. Most go broody before their first year, but a few wait a year. Rarely do they go broody after they are two unless they had previously been broody in the past.

A week ago I purchased 5 Sebright Chicks from TSC. I am curious if their feather pattern will change as they age? I have 3 that are "laced" what I would guess is close to breed standard. And then I have 2 chicks that have a high level of "smuttiness" or just all around dark feathers.

These chicks are about 3 weeks old currently. So far they have tons of personality!
20180409_130737.jpg
20180409_131049.jpg
20180409_131140.jpg
20180409_131147.jpg

A week ago I purchased 5 Sebright Chicks from TSC. I am curious if their feather pattern will change as they age? I have 3 that are "laced" what I would guess is close to breed standard. And then I have 2 chicks that have a high level of "smuttiness" or just all around dark feathers.

These chicks are about 3 weeks old currently. So far they have tons of personality! View attachment 1331760 View attachment 1331761 View attachment 1331762 View attachment 1331763

Don't worry, young laced birds often have poor patterning. This doesn't mean they'll become show-quality, but in my experience it takes until they are fully mature for their true pattern to be evident. The older they get the thinner the lacing gets.

I recently lost my Serama roo to a Red tailed hawk. Napoleon was only 7" tall but 7' in his mind. He ran my small flock of average sized hens and valiantly gave his life saving all the hens. How do Sebrights compare to Serama's in height, crow volume, and flock management? Thank you for your thoughts, advice, and comments.

:hugs
So sorry for your loss. He sounded like a great little rooster.

My female serama is pretty fierce. She bosses & bullies the giant orpingtons and lives in the main coop with all the LF chickens. She's very vocal as well. She jumps on my arm for treats but hates to be held and confined. She's very feisty & friendly - but only on her terms. I have no experience with male Sebrights, but I would expect a similar fearless attitude.

My seramas are different. They also will fly up onto my arm, but always want to stay & be cuddled. Mine are only slightly smaller than my sebright. They live & get along well with my silkies in our little bantam coop. The seramas are a little more quiet. Our 1 yr old serama rooster is pretty much a pet. He loves to be held and is about as far from aggressive as possible. He dances for and mates the hens. He tidbids and keeps an eye out for predators. However, he's a lover a not a fighter. He'd probably be hawk food if not under the constant protection of a chicken tractor.

In my opinion, the Sebrights have more attitude. My guess is that a Sebright rooster would be a decent protector. As far as crowing, if my hen is any indication, a Sebright roo would be louder. My Sebright hen crows when broody and not even my 10 lb rooster will challenge her. Sebrights tend to have a big "Look at Me!" attitude. They always want to be the center of attention and can be pretty vocal about it.

Back
Top Bottom