Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
:lau Trouble's BFF is a Dominique. She will also perch on my hand/arm, but when she does, I feel like I'm holding a giant hawk. Thankfully she doesn't "jump" onto my arm. Bigger birds don't seem to have the agility. That's a very good thing because most of our birds are Orpingtons. Can you imagine having this big girl land on your arm?
LOL! It was very humbling -- I thought I was pretty strong! I think you are right that it's an agility issue, though, in addition to pure weight.

Last edited:
lau.gif

Trouble's BFF is a Dominique. She will also perch on my hand/arm, but when she does, I feel like I'm holding a giant hawk. Thankfully she doesn't "jump" onto my arm. Bigger birds don't seem to have the agility. That's a very good thing because most of our birds are Orpingtons.
Can you imagine having this big girl land on your arm?

I have a White Giant that jumps on my arm when I'm least expecting it! Yes, that can hurt, but thankfully, she's still young and she's hatchery quality so she's not as large as Jersey Giants can get. Still, I prefer when she jumps onto my back or shoulder instead. She's such a silly girl, Yosemite.

lau.gif

Trouble's BFF is a Dominique. She will also perch on my hand/arm, but when she does, I feel like I'm holding a giant hawk. Thankfully she doesn't "jump" onto my arm. Bigger birds don't seem to have the agility. That's a very good thing because most of our birds are Orpingtons.
Can you imagine having this big girl land on your arm?

Beautiful lavender! I have a flock of LO's also. But mine won't let me near them!

How didn't I know about this thread! I've got a good quality pair and she's about 7 months and laid 5 eggs so far! I'll post pics when I get home

frow.gif
Yeah for pics!!
big_smile.png

Beautiful lavender! I have a flock of LO's also. But mine won't let me near them!
Thanks. Orps are total treat monsters. Ours see all people as treat bearers. Even a toddler can scoop up an orp.... if they can manage to lift 8-10 lbs that is! They just don't run away. Even the broody hen raised orps calm down & become lap chickens in time. If yours are young then they should settle down when they reach laying age. If older (& you want extremely docile hens) then simply use treats to bribe them.

Thanks. Orps are total treat monsters. Ours see all people as treat bearers. Even a toddler can scoop up an orp.... if they can manage to lift 8-10 lbs that is! They just don't run away. Even the broody hen raised orps calm down & become lap chickens in time. If yours are young then they should settle down when they reach laying age. If older (& you want extremely docile hens) then simply use treats to bribe them.

I do give them treats, was able to hand feed them treats when they were younger, but they just turned skittish on me. I have 7 girls and 2 boys. A couple of the girls are laying already, and some aren't. I have noticed lately they are getting better, so I will try more hand treats again, and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks!

Here's a couple pics

Very pretty! (I'm sucker for orps.) How do your orp roos treat your sebrights? Mine seem vey confused by the size diff. They can't mate "Trouble" but I've seen them tilt their heads like they were trying to figure out a way. They treat her like an underage pullet. Thankfully, their protection extends to her. I have seen a roo stand on the cold snowy ground while Trouble happily plays up in an evergreen tree. My hens have those poor roos wrapped around their little wing feathers.
Here are my roos. (Lav/Black Split English Orps)

Oh! I think I remember those from the Orp thread now. They are gorgeous! I have a black split pullet.

My orps have never seen my sebrights. I have a camp/farm about 45 minutes from my house. My bantams are at home, the LO's and my comet flock are at my camp. My comet flock free-ranges with a dark brahma roo, with an automatic door on the run. The LO's are only out under supervision. I plan to sell their eggs for hatching and don't want the brahma getting frisky with them! LOL

I tried to get a pic of Trouble in flight. Lighting wasn't very good today but here are some action shots.

Mid-flight

Just before landing.
See how she sticks her feet out forward to grab hold of my arm? All I see are CLAWS coming at me. It's a trust exercise for both of us.

BTW- Trouble laid 4 eggs in 7 days. Now there are enough eggs for our family, so we don't have to fight over who gets to eat her cute little eggs. Of course, we'll still have to eat orp eggs if we want to make it a meal. DH still calls her our useless chicken. She hatched July 1st & just started laying a week ago. The eggs are pretty tiny. Oh well. I'm having fun with her.

Back
Top Bottom