Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Sebrights can be bullies.
roll.png
x2
I just noticed my Sebright peck at her mama - a bantam orp. She's the only other bantam I own.

They're so sweet with me but totally won't hang out with the littles and pick on them if they happen to wander too close. My miscellaneous white bantam is being much better at integration. Sebright jerks!
Honestly if it's bullying of the younger chickens, then I find whoever's on the bottom of the pecking order will be the worst bully. The hens on top have no interest in the newbies, so they leave them alone. It's the lowest hens who rejoice in no longer being at the bottom. I think they're getting out of their past frustrations.

I will try to watch and see if it's always the same one, it's tough when they all look alike ;)
I'm not sure it's bullying as such. They've had a very sheltered life and it almost seems like they're just freaked out by the spazziness of the chicks. They pretty much avoid the flock of chicks but then freak out on any that happen to stumble in the middle of the adult flock.
I'm a little frustrated, they've been sharing space for weeks now and could see each other across a mesh fence for weeks before that. I had hoped they would've merged flocks by now and the littles start following the bigs into the adult coop at night.

I have 2 male sebrights, The Colonel and Lieutenant. Lieutenant is a little pri*k. I can't turn my back on him without him wanting to attack my boot. Colonel has always been the sweetie. Its not every day, but maybe every 3rd or 4th day, Lieutenant wants to get a little too big for his britches. I just catch him and hold him down for a bit, then carry him around for a while. But apparently that is only working for a few days at a time.

I also have a beautiful frizzle bantam cochin (all penned separately) that is extremely hormonal. If these boys don't straighten up, I don't know what I am going to do with them!

So don't feel bad WVFG. You are not alone!

ETA - I have tiny zip-ties on their legs to be able to tell them apart
smile.png

Last edited:
Whenever we add new pullets, my yard looks like it has 2 flocks. One group of hens & the other pullets. They prefer to stay apart, so I have extra feeding/watering stations around the yard. Eventually when the newbies start laying, they begin to hang around the outside of the flock - some pullets take about 9 months before they feel part of the group. Winter months can help because the cold brings them closer. Otherwise, they really only sleep together & there may be some night-time roosting scuffles. Never bloody. They just have to work some things out. If you find blood or bald spots, then you definitely have a problem & must take action

Back
Top Bottom