Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
I've been searching for almost a year now. The closest I got was LS chicks from Altro Pets, in Voortrekker road, Parow. I've not seen the adults though just some chicks and I got some hatching eggs from them as well. Out of 10 eggs that I got, only one is still developing and its due to hatch on Monday. I am planning on getting some hatching eggs from Henmar chickens in Johannesburg as soon as I can afford it. They breed show quality Light Sussex. Eggs are R30 each though. Chicks are R60 each with a minimum order of two boxes sent (120 chicks per box!) That's too much for me, so I will be getting eggs

Last edited:
Hi Trevchar!

welcome-byc.gif

Hi guys and gals!
I visited Altro pets yesterday, but they didn't have the chick stock I needed.
Try visiting the "Ou plaashek" shop in Brackenfell.
I do all my feed shopping there. The owner is very passionate about his chicken business and very friendly!
I got my fertilized New Hamshire eggs from him. 3 out of 8 hatched. Unfortunately one chick died, but the others are 4 weeks old and doing great!

http://www.ouplaashek.co.za/

I would also check out the local clubs, they will have all the common breeds you guys and gals are looking for and are very helpful. I met up with some cape town clubs when i was there for the Annual show, and they had a great variety and were happy to help out.

You dont have to be a member to buy chickens from them, they breed good/show stock, and very often have extra birds for sale.

Hi guys and gals!
I visited Altro pets yesterday, but they didn't have the chick stock I needed.
Try visiting the "Ou plaashek" shop in Brackenfell.
I do all my feed shopping there. The owner is very passionate about his chicken business and very friendly!
I got my fertilized New Hamshire eggs from him. 3 out of 8 hatched. Unfortunately one chick died, but the others are 4 weeks old and doing great!

http://www.ouplaashek.co.za/

Thanks for the info! And welcome to BYC! :jumpy
Ps. Congrats on your chicks and cool looking coop :)

Back
Top Bottom