Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
That's funny. I am not far from Randburg and we never see Hawks (or genets for that matter) Perhaps I just haven't spotted them. In which case I have been very lucky! We haven't lost a single chicken to a predator.
You lucky fish!!!
smack.gif

Hi I have just joined & I am very new at this we are in Table a View Cape Town & have just finished building a chicken coop....now we need to find where we can buy a couple of hens not too young but nearly ready to lay eggs.....
.can anyone help me Thank you

Hi I have just joined & I am very new at this we are in Table a View Cape Town & have just finished building a chicken coop....now we need to find where we can buy a couple of hens not too young but nearly ready to lay eggs.....
.can anyone help me Thank you
Hi Vanita, I am also in Cape Town. Welcome! Look on gumtree, there are always interesting breeds for sale. also, google batteryhenrescue, where you can get 1 year old hens that have been rescued from the battery. they still lay for a good couple of years and its amazing to see their transformation

Thanks for coming back to me......have looked at rescue chickens but will have to wait for next rescue as I just missed out ......where about are you in Cape Town

I am on signal hill. I only have one hen, a bantam orpington who is my baby. she is like a puppy and follows me around. when my husband is away she sleeps on my pillow..

That's funny. I am not far from Randburg and we never see Hawks (or genets for that matter) Perhaps I just haven't spotted them. In which case I have been very lucky! We haven't lost a single chicken to a predator.

i am outside a lot so i cast an eye on the sky every time i hear his warning call, most of the time it is just a crow, but once in a while a hawk or kestrel. Even seen vultures flying high over my house, but those dont concern me.

There is an active breeding genet population in Randburg, a mother and baby were spotted in someones garden in the middle of the day, was reported in the Randburg local paper last year i believe!

Ah well, what can you do
roll.png

i am outside a lot so i cast an eye on the sky every time i hear his warning call, most of the time it is just a crow, but once in a while a hawk or kestrel. Even seen vultures flying high over my house, but those dont concern me.

There is an active breeding genet population in Randburg, a mother and baby were spotted in someones garden in the middle of the day, was reported in the Randburg local paper last year i believe!

Ah well, what can you do
roll.png
we also have genets, i ve seen them sitting in our roof in the evening. really beautiful creatures. and our mongoose is quite blatant. but no problems thanks to dogs always being around i guess, touch wood

I am on signal hill. I only have one hen, a bantam orpington who is my baby. she is like a puppy and follows me around. when my husband is away she sleeps on my pillow..

That is soooo sweet! Orpintons are the best. I images she must be adorable.

Is she house-trained? I have one chicken who likes to hang out indoors with me. But she still drops a poppy whenever she feels like it. It's not too bad, I just keep a roll of toilet paper handy. No harm, no foul ;)

That is soooo sweet! Orpintons are the best. I images she must be adorable.

Is she house-trained? I have one chicken who likes to hang out indoors with me. But she still drops a poppy whenever she feels like it. It's not too bad, I just keep a roll of toilet paper handy. No harm, no foul ;)
no..she's not house trained. but as you said, rollertowels do the trick. they are usually dry and don't smell, and I am always surprised how little a bantam poops. she does have a towel on her side of the pillow..but through the night its usually only one or two dry ones. some people might think its gross but I dont care, she is dewormed and healthy, and I am allergic to all furry animals, so I can only cuddle with birds. I was considering those chicken-diapers, but I know she would find that very uncomfortable, and I would be worried that the poo stays too close to her cloaca and could cause infections

By the way, I think my dogs mouths probably have way worse germs in them than my chicken's poop, and despite them managing to kiss us in the face occasionally no one has died, either. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Microbiology and I am convinced it is more dangerous to have raw meat in your kitchen than to have chicken poop on your pillow. There were scientific studies done that found that people who eat meat have more dangerous germs in their kitchens than in their toilets. And generally, living with animals, when they are properly cared for, is probably for your immune system. That's why in the old days, when people lived in the house together with their livestock, no one had allergies. Today, people totally overclean with all these antibacterial things, and are actually breeding dangerous superbugs in their kitchens

Back
Top Bottom