Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
At this state anything I have lots of space so I'm trying everything at this moment
Hi Guys
ya.gif

Hi Nanna34 Welcome to ZA BYC bet you can't wait to get going - if you are like me you will find if difficult to choose one for dinner - but them I don't have very large dinner companions..lol

Well I never knew you could give vermox, my vet said that they do not have the best worm medicine here for chooks but maybe he meant for a small amount of chickens. He said if I was going to the Uk I must get from there because it is the best. Am I wrong? also where do you get deadline because I just use the powder for nasties and sprinkle it thru the hay.. By the way saw your chicken he is beautfiul..

Whoop whoop, do not use vermox- use the cheap generic. The vermox is one tablet- the generic is 6 tablets.
I buy Deadline from our local TWK or Agriculture store. They laugh at me as I buy the smallest bottle available 500 ml and It lasts me ages. You can buy Deadline in drums of 250l. The carbadust is good for the hay and inside the coop but I handle my chickens as pets and they often comes into the house. They need to be without any nasties
I always need to keep myself in control and not flood the internet with photos of my chickens but thank you for the compliment. I also think they are beautiful

This was Roes and he would look after chicks for me. He was such a sweetie but unfortunately passed away due to an injury.

@Colin Fow Ah Mareks - nasty business that, my vet said it wasn't necessary as I am very small chook keeper and its an expensive vac he doesn't carry it. Good for you being so responsible I bet your birds wil be stunning especially as you are going into breeding specialities, well you know what I mean..(your fancy Australope, can't wait to see a pic)

Hope I am still on the list for a turkey lol was thinking of getting some turkey eggs in Uk and sneaking them thru, permit takes 30 days but we all know that could be 30 anything with this Gov...just got to find a way thru the Xray machine... but don't want to get caught - don't fancy jail time much - have managed to sneak lotsa stuff back from my trips but knowing my luck will get caught this time. And ZA's get turned over so much by the customs at Heathrow, we are all terriorists... I have a plate in my head and the **** thing goes off everytimeI go thru - so have had some one to one with the customs there. Horrible...

@whoop whoop , I was actually thinking about trying to get eggs from a place overseas but have not found one that exports internationally yet, would be great tho but I have also heard it would be very expensive as well, I hope customs doesn't get too personal, that would be rather embarrassing, can you just imagine if i find a place and can import all the chook types I want , would be so eggciting, still searching for those darn turkeys, most around here are of the very mixed breed type and I would really prefer too keep seperate breeds.

Hi @Allears ,
thumbsup.gif
, @Carin , that's such a good looking guy , sorry about the loss, I use the carbo dust in their sand bathing areas and they basically dust themselves, seems to work pretty well.

Sorry, also wanted to ask about the egg shells, surely they are battery egg shells, are they OK to give? I just use the oyster shells are they good enough? - Doesn't seem right to feed chooks eggs,maybe I am too fussy
smile.png

Whoop whoop I do put the shells in the oven everytime I switch the oven off for about a week. I am doing this the last few years and never had a problem.
The other thing about not wanting to give egg shells to the chickens- in nature when the chicks hatch the mother eats a lot of the shells after the chick is born anyway. Go have a look how few shells are left in the nest after a hatch and see how many shells are left in the incubator. The hen do not want to attrack predators and keep the nest clean. Nature does not waste
wink.png
. I also cook and feed all undeveloped eggs to the chicks when they hatch. I do however make sure it is only the undeveloped eggs. Do not want to do the Balut thing
ep.gif

Whoop whoop, do not use vermox- use the cheap generic. The vermox is one tablet- the generic is 6 tablets.
I buy Deadline from our local TWK or Agriculture store. They laugh at me as I buy the smallest bottle available 500 ml and It lasts me ages. You can buy Deadline in drums of 250l. The carbadust is good for the hay and inside the coop but I handle my chickens as pets and they often comes into the house. They need to be without any nasties
I always need to keep myself in control and not flood the internet with photos of my chickens but thank you for the compliment. I also think they are beautiful

This was Roes and he would look after chicks for me. He was such a sweetie but unfortunately passed away due to an injury.
Now that is one beautful bird, hate to show my ignorance but what breed he is so smart... Arn't Roos just the best fathers? Henry has been really great with all my babies.. Yes I use the carbadust, it seems to work really well in the nests. You sound like Hedz 82 with your family inside - I just have too many inquisitive cats, wish I could have them inside.. So sorry about his passing must have been a real heart wrench with such a lovely bird...
hugs.gif
Know the generic will get some - I know this is an absolutely stupid question but can they get worms from eating the meal worms, as I give mine lots everyday - there doen't seem to be many bugs about 'cos it is so dry so suppliment with my home grown worms..

Back
Top Bottom