Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
note to self... add carbo dust to my shopping list....
big_smile.png

hello newbies
ya.gif

Whoop whoop I do put the shells in the oven everytime I switch the oven off for about a week. I am doing this the last few years and never had a problem.
The other thing about not wanting to give egg shells to the chickens- in nature when the chicks hatch the mother eats a lot of the shells after the chick is born anyway. Go have a look how few shells are left in the nest after a hatch and see how many shells are left in the incubator. The hen do not want to attrack predators and keep the nest clean. Nature does not waste
wink.png
. I also cook and feed all undeveloped eggs to the chicks when they hatch. I do however make sure it is only the undeveloped eggs. Do not want to do the Balut thing
ep.gif
Yes I have seen that the shells disappear, do you feed for the 'grit' factor or just the calcium? I told Colin I have an 'arrangement' with the local 'Japanese' restaurant, I get all their oyster shells which I wash and bash up, takes hours but the chooks seem to love them..

Now that is one beautful bird, hate to show my ignorance but what breed he is so smart.. stupid question but can they get worms from eating the meal worms, as I give mine lots everyday - there doen't seem to be many bugs about 'cos it is so dry so suppliment with my home grown worms..
He is a Partridge Brahma. He gave me beautiful babies and was a very good rooster. I only keep partridge Brahmas as I am in town and as I breed show chickens and do not want to keep them in enclosures all the time I rather keep to only one breed and one colour.
I do not feed grit. They free range and may have all the grit they wish from the garden.
You may feed the mealworms and not worry about them getting worms because of that. There is no stupid question in the world

He is a Partridge Brahma. He gave me beautiful babies and was a very good rooster. I only keep partridge Brahmas as I am in town and as I breed show chickens and do not want to keep them in enclosures all the time I rather keep to only one breed and one colour.
I do not feed grit. They free range and may have all the grit they wish from the garden.
You may feed the mealworms and not worry about them getting worms because of that. There is no stupid question in the world
Well he was just gorgeous... good to know about the worms - have a whole pile 'growing' in my garage YUK they just don't grow fast enough though -
smile.png

Mealworms slow down in winter. Summertime they grow much faster. If you want to speed things up and you have an unoccupied incubator.....

Back
Top Bottom