Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

We have had a few problems as well like a rat that killed a few chicks , hammy (the bush pig) has been digging up all over and breaking fences , but we still have tons of broody hens sitting on eggs an a whole lot more that are busy hatching again today so busy busy lol

Last edited:
We have had a few problems as well like a rat that killed a few chicks , hammy (the bush pig) has been digging up all over and breaking fences , but we still have tons of broody hens sitting on eggs an a whole lot more that are busy hatching again today so busy busy lol

Sorry to hear, We have a mongoose problem he gets into the coop and eats the eggs. The security guys set a trap for it they want to catch it and relocate it, before the farmer next door kills it.

Hello all,
I hatch my own chicks and sell them day old.
Some times a few weeks old.
I purchased these vaccines fo them and I don't have a clue how to use them. Could you kindly advice how to use these bottled vaccines.
Tnx

My goslings all 9 of them, not sure what type they are but the previous owner said they are Canadian x something. They are all from the same batch from one mother and 2 weeks old (the mom and 2 goslings were killed by jackals, one gosling has a damaged eye and leg from the attack but he is managing hope he makes it to adulthood)

I am going to put them in the silkie pen today and then move them to their own enclosed pen till they are about 2 months, we want them to roam the property.

Please help! I got new roosters 2 weeks ago. One of them is ill now. He is walking around and then, all of a sudden just doses off. I saw it this morning. We caught him and he has this ruffling sound when he breathes and it seems like he has a bit of a fever. He still eats very good. One of our neighbours' chickens started to die last week. What could it be? I'm afraid it might be bird flu... i don't want to lose my whole little flock. What should I do?

Please help! I got new roosters 2 weeks ago. One of them is ill now. He is walking around and then, all of a sudden just doses off. I saw it this morning. We caught him and he has this ruffling sound when he breathes and it seems like he has a bit of a fever. He still eats very good. One of our neighbours' chickens started to die last week. What could it be? I'm afraid it might be bird flu... i don't want to lose my whole little flock. What should I do?

Does he have diarrhoea? He could have a respiratory infection I suggest you take him to a vet to get him checked out. If it is a disease you will have to make sure your flock gets treated asap.

Does he have diarrhoea?  He could have a respiratory infection I suggest you take him to a vet to get him checked out.  If it is a disease you will have to make sure your flock gets treated asap.

My chickens free range, so I haven't noticed any diarrhoea yet. He is still clean at the back, unlike my neighbour's chickens. I went to have a look at his chickens and took some photos.they are almost all dead. Their combs are a dark blue purplish colour and you can see they had diarrhoea. The others are sitting there with their heads hanging down. But I cannot post the photos ritht now. I just came from the vet. 'The doctor's not available right now...'

My chickens free range, so I haven't noticed any diarrhoea yet. He is still clean at the back, unlike my neighbour's chickens. I went to have a look at his chickens and took some photos.they are almost all dead. Their combs are a dark blue purplish colour and you can see they had diarrhoea. The others are sitting there with their heads hanging down. But I cannot post the photos ritht now. I just came from the vet. 'The doctor's not available right now...'

oooo not good, hope all is well and your roo is ok. I had a hen with heatstroke this weekend its still touch and go but she is up and about and eating again but still very weak. I check on her constantly and if she does not improve by tonight I'm taking her to the vet.

What type of chickens does your neighbour have? Silkies have mulberry coloured combs and wattles. If they are not it sounds like fowl cholera and you do not want your chickens getting that, I had a friend lose a whole flock to it. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/181/fowl-cholera/

That is my silkie roo Puff

oooo not good, hope all is well and your roo is ok. I had a hen with heatstroke this weekend its still touch and go but she is up and about and eating again but still very weak. I check on her constantly and if she does not improve by tonight I'm taking her to the vet. What type of chickens does your neighbour have? Silkies have mulberry coloured combs and wattles. If they are not it sounds like fowl cholera and you do not want your chickens getting that, I had a friend lose a whole flock to it. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/181/fowl-cholera/ That is my silkie roo Puff
He doesn't have silkies. We both have common mixed breeds. All his chickens had red combs and wattles and it turned this dark colour then they died. He had more than 30 chickens. He got 2 new roosters the same day I got mine, and we got it from the same guy.

He doesn't have silkies. We both have common mixed breeds. All his chickens had red combs and wattles and it turned this dark colour then they died. He had more than 30 chickens. He got 2 new roosters the same day I got mine, and we got it from the same guy.

ok not good, my friend who lost his chickens to chicken cholera says his chickens had the same symptoms you are describing, its a bacterial infection so chances are the guy who sold you the chickens never kept them in a hygienic environment or even inoculated them. Your roos need to get a course of antibiotics asap and watch your other chickens for the same symptoms. It takes one infected chicken to wipe out an entire flock the disease can spread through the drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom