Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

@Nanna34 sorry to hear that!
NONE of my 1st lot of eggs hatched, incubator too cool and Eskom woes. I'm really hoping the next lot will be a good hatch lot on 4th Nov.

Hi all I need to let go of my Silkies and Goslings
hit.gif
, I have to relocate soon and I wont be able to keep them were I am going.

If anyone is interested I'm selling them pm me please for more details

darn now i'm sorry I didn't see this sooner
he.gif
lol

@Nanna34 sorry to hear that!
NONE of my 1st lot of eggs hatched, incubator too cool and Eskom woes. I'm really hoping the next lot will be a good hatch lot on 4th Nov.

don't stress @OrangeGrove we had a terrible hatch our first 2 attempts, also thanks too Eskom , our last hatch we ended up with 130 fuzz balls out of 150 eggs
thumbsup.gif
, it will come lol, o by the way , if anyone is interested I have 120 koekoeks at 4.5 weeks old lol

Thanks, I will wait. I'm like a kid with that incubator ... I keep opening the thing
263a.png
. Going away on the 7th for 2 days so I must find someone to house sit and turn eggs lol. It's one of those nasty polystyrene incubators, I borrowed it and the auto turn thing doesn't work. Hygrometer also buggered. Will be a miracle if anything hatches. I've just ordered 30 Golden Buff chicks to add to the layers. Such a hassle finding transport and eventually found someone this side of the world specializing in Avian transport. It's a bit pricy but his van is nicely kitted out with cages with food & water. The lucerne is growing nicely that I planted in the outbuildings...now just gotta fill them up with chickens!

I had a chuckle...recently we went to a garden festival. I was more interested in scouting for chickens ..found a nice looking indigenous hen that I paid a fair amount for. Got home and discovered she lays eggs that are 44 grams each
1f633.png
. She's been put in my 'faulty family flock' which consists of a rooster with one eye, Fat Betty (the only survivor after the bout of Coryza), a couple other misfits and Herbie (half township chicken, half Brahma)... He was the only chap to hatçh out of ten eggs.

Well that was an interesting couple of days. Poppy and I got really intimate. Realised quite quickly she was struggling to lay her first egg and as she's my lap bird I felt 2 eggs in her. After 2 days of her trying to lay I trawled this site and did as suggested.... A calcium intake, a steam session over a sink of hot water with Epsom salts and then a finger of KY to lube her up. Even phoned the vet who suggested I take her in this morning. However when I woke up she had managed to lay an egg and there's still one waiting to be laid but 1 is better than 2!!!
Relief!!!! Sheesh that was stressful. She wasn't in pain or anything but I could tell she wasn't 100% happy. Just needed a little help popping her egg laying virginity.
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Macksy glad for you and your lady's egg
OrangeGrove, I also breed partridge Brahmas. I am in KZN North coast. I am however in town and have to keep my chicken numbers in check. No chance on 100 chickens for me

Last edited:
@Carin , I'm from KZN N Coast, Salt Rock. I've only been here 2 years so it's quite a novelty...filling up all the unused outbuildings with chickens. If I come to KZN I would love to pick up a few Brahmas, I only have the one hen.

Something I'm really struggling with...is transport for chickens. No couriers will take birds anymore. I live in the back end of nowhere so although there are guys transporting birds..it's not in the Eastern Cape. .??? Any ideas?

Yep Nadine, I like chickens! I have 3 batches of eggs in the incubator. Don't think the 1st lot will hatch as power was out for 24 hours :(

I just put 3 batches of eggs under my incubators ;P hope they hatch good. Have 6 broody hens now. 1 is incubating for 2 weeks now, so next week,this time, I might get a handful of flufs. All together 38 eggs to be hatched. Hope the hens keep them children alive this time (out of 28 chicks last year, December, only 3 survived)

o ok, I just made those out of polystyrene , but we buy chicken egg trays from a local packaging company , they sell pretty much anything like cups and boxes and plastic knives and forks etc , works out too about R1.97 for a box for a dozen eggs.

Yes, the quail eggs trays..but I need for chicken eggs

I don't get that lot of eggs, but my family and friends save their 30 egg trays for me. I also have lots of half dos trays, but they have their own labeling and stuff already

Back
Top Bottom