Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Hello all. Ok I am confused. The girls started laying 2 days ago. 2 small eggs under their roost, nothing yesterday and again a small egg under roost this morning. That's good (although nest box would be better). My concern is over madam poppy she went into nest box 2 days ago for 4 hrs and nothing happened. Again today she goes into nest box and spends 5 hrs there cooing and fluffing and panting and then gave up and came out. I don't know who laid the eggs (3 of the 4 squat when I go near them).
Anyway is it normal behaviour to go into nest box for hours and not lay? She's eating and drinking and pooping well. I'm just confused. Anyone else experienced this?

I found that 2 of my hens will go into the nesting boxes, then spend quite some time in there and come out with load singing. When I go and check, nothing. But... they both made nests elsewhere, so I think they are trying to fool the ones 'stealing' the eggs lol

Last edited:
Hi all I need to let go of my Silkies and Goslings :hit , I have to relocate soon and I wont be able to keep them were I am going.

If anyone is interested I'm selling them pm me please for more details

Wow ok the entire lot has been bought by a farmer cash

Wow that is really sad and good at the same time. My husband and I are also thinking of relocating, but the chickens is also a problem. You can't take them everywhere, so, for now, we hold out here

Thanks, I will wait. I'm like a kid with that incubator ... I keep opening the thing
263a.png

Lol,I remember the first time one of our hens got broody. I was there every day, making sure she eats well lol. When those chicks hatched, i took photo's the whole time. Sending out whatsapps to everyone I know that another and yet another chick just hatched. Very exciting

@Nadene I have had 3 bad hatches now. When I say bad.,,5% hatch rate. Did everything right, temp and humidity was correct, didn't open in the last 3 days.
1f621.png
it must be just a bad incubator, I must buy a new one.

On a positive note...I'm so excited to have found a rooster for my Partridge Brahma hen. He's beautiful and is incredibly tame. I also have 44 Golden Buffs that are 4 weeks old. I've heard they are quite broody so that would be good!

This coming week I am busy clearing out a shed to house 500 laying birds eventually.its quite funny..my husband is getting more interested in my chickens than his cattle and game on the farm
1f601.png

Nanna there is a whatsupp group where I am sure you will be able to get a rooster. If you pm me you cel nr I will ask you to be added to the group

Back
Top Bottom