Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

I started a vleisbook page for us kzn crazy garden chicken keepers. Go find it and join. I am trying to network as many like minded people in our province. "kzn garden chicken keepers" is the group name.
1f609.png

So, my second hatch went alot better than the 1st one 4 weeks ago. I had 1 chick hatch out of 12 eggs then (and he passed away on saturday morning). Now i had 21 chicks out of 34 eggs. 4 hens were broody. One hen squashed all her eggs. Only managed to save one egg when i saw the crack and put it under another hen. My dog killed one of the 4 hens, so i decided to put all the chicks with one hen. I moved them in time. The hen accepted them all. Now i have 21, week-old flufs running around in one of the outhouses till they are at least 10 weeks old lol. My dog is benched. He killed 2 chickens and attacked a third one. Very disappointed in, to say the least

Hi all, so an update, I finally got all my chooks home, all alright and whatnot, not laying yet though :( a friend gave me another hen and she just layer four eggs and went broody so yay, she's at about day 17 now so not long to go until I have my very first chicks ever. I'm thinking of getting more chicks and adding them to her batch when they hatch, either more Cochins or maybe some lavender orpingtons so that I have more than 1 breed, but then I need to find a way to separate them, so yet more work : to say though that now that I am finally actually keeping chickens I am absolutely in love with it and just want to get more :lol:

I'm back!!! from yUK do not ever think the grass is greener anywhere else - this is the best country in the world no matter how much cuk is going on -

It is so wonderful to get some heat and have lots and lots of chicken worming stuff if anyone wants - it really works when I got home all my chooks were so thin and miserable - used it immediately and they have put on weight and looking good. Didn't realise that worms could be such a problem.

Anyway glad to be home - mini Moly not so mini anymore and a very pretty bird can't do photos at the mo need my son to help fix my computer it was compromised in UK as was everything else. Have to go back in the New Year selling parents house, am trying to sort things out there - suing the Nursing home for what they did to my mum - got the police on the carers of my parents because they cleaned the house out of everything valuable - it was a nightmare - but I'm home and now relaxing -

@hedz82 are you still in CT and well?

@Gwyllm so glad to know your chooks are doing well - still see Raptor hope he is doing his thing!! Henry has turned into the most vicious chook ever can't understand it he was so loving when I left. He goes for my hubby every morning - hasn't gone for me yet -maybe he missed me!

I agree with the chicken addiction I nearly got some in the Uk 'cos I miseed them so much but selling the house and everything just didn't happen -

Hope you are all well and missed you guys....xx

@whoop whoop good to hear that you are back, sounds troublesome to say the least in the UK, I guess we have our problems here but rather the devil you know than the devil you don't. :/ raptor is doing really well, becoming a happy little ball, he is really great with his girls, but simply won't accept a couple of the girls. He looks after the bantam girls but seems to despise the standard girls, so I'm planning and getting a few standard chicks to put under the broody when her eggs hatch and hopefully only one is a rooster then I'll separate them and have to couple of bantams together and the standards together. I might just go with a couple of orpingtons though, easier to get, and then just never hatch out any of the standard Cochin eggs.

Hey Whoop Whoop, good to have you back, sounds like quite the ordeal! Yes, I am still here, just super busy.. going to work right through the holidays..

Hi guys - well my trip here didn't last long my father died last night so have to go back. Just for once I wish I had something good to say..

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas ...
yippiechickie.gif

Today is a very exciting day for me with my chooks, that broody I was given with her four eggs are due to hatch today, so I'm crossing my fingers for that. I've also ordered 5 more standard Cochins, going to collect them when they are a bit older and can deal with being outside by themselves. And I finally got my first egg!!! And right in a nesting box too, which saves me the effort of having to teach them to lay there hopefully. Hopefully this means that they are all close to laying now, it was one of the bantams which laid the egg.

Back
Top Bottom