Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Feeling sad and frustrated as hell right now. Why? Newcastle disease... Out of 21 chickens, the dog killed one last week, 4 hens and 2 chicks died and 8 more chickens are ill. Vaccinated them, but it doesn't seem to have helped or they already had the disease but didn't show any signs yet.
Ok that is really worrying.. sorry to hear that. what vaccine did you use? did you keep it refrigerated?

@Hedz82 no def no Hylines for me. The laying flock are New Hampshire x Golden Buff, a lovely big breed...so tame too. Those Hylines look like zombies...I have one that I swear has the personality of a plank. I keep saying I'm gonna eat her as she lays about twice a week but I don't have the heart.

I'm pretty sure not many people have a one eyed rooster and a one legged chicken. Zoe with one leg is doing so well. They are such awesome pets and can't wait to get let out and follow me around the veg garden.

@Hedz82 no def no Hylines for me. The laying flock are New Hampshire x Golden Buff, a lovely big breed...so tame too. Those Hylines look like zombies...I have one that I swear has the personality of a plank. I keep saying I'm gonna eat her as she lays about twice a week but I don't have the heart.

I'm pretty sure not many people have a one eyed rooster and a one legged chicken. Zoe with one leg is doing so well. They are such awesome pets and can't wait to get let out and follow me around the veg garden.
Oh gorgeous pics orangegrove!!! does your dog try to play with your chooks as well? My boy is so sweet and always sniffs them and wags his tail at them and is really gentle and friendly, and my hen actually lets him sniff her head and holds still! and when I am not available she goes and lies next to him, its like he's part of the flock. so so sweet!
Shame how did your girl lose that leg? She looks in great condition otherwise! And what a gorgeous roo!

Thanks Hedz82 :) in that pic the chick was nibbling the bone that the dog had. He loves small animals...we have a ground squirrel aswell, his best mate! He lies down and the squirrel 'grooms' him..jumps on his back scratching him.

I think it was rats that got in, I lost 2 chicks and the third survived minus a leg. It runs around just like the others and sometimes it's pretty hard to spot 'ol one leg! Someone on this forum said to cull it...but it's really the happiest little chicken I've ever had.

Hello I am from Upington and I have 12 chickens and busy expanding does anybody have some tips on how to keep them cold? And if anybody knows someone I this area that sells chickens or fertile eggs please let me know.

Hi James 505

Welcome to BYC there has never been site that is so fullfilng and supportive in everyway.

What I do because we have had it very hot here is freeze empty ice cream boxes with fresh paw paw juice and or just plain water - and continually through out the day replace them the chooks sit of the water ones and peck at the frozen paw paw seems to work - I don't know if your chooks are as stupid as mine but they don't seem to drink maybe their water gets too hot but try the ice blocks, don't us the bags as they peck the plastic.

Good luck

Hi James 505
I think you need to get a breed of chicken that is heat resistant to start with.
They will need shade and cool clean water.

Back
Top Bottom