Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Quote:
wow, it's been awhile since i was online here! i can't remember the vaccine's name. i did keep it refrigerated. you mix it with 20 litres of water and spray it in the chickens' faces. all 21 chicks died and only 7 chickens from 21 survived. One hen was sick and got well again, but she's running around like a zombie, so that's her name now: Zombie. Her head is twitching alot still, and she seems off balance, running side-ways like a crab. But she is laying eggs again, although they are very small and soft-shelled.

I have had some disturbing thoughts for a while now. 2 years ago, I picked up a Black australorp hen and her chick next to the road. The hen had her comb cut off, the chick (a roo), had both his middle toes cut off. The hen (that turned out to be a rooster...) had a broken left wing, with a protruding bone that got healed later on. A month ago I picked up another rooster, at the same spot next to the road. He also had toes cut off. Today, again at the same spot, I picked up a big rooster, all toes attached this time, but...he had sewing needles stuck in him! I pulled out 4. Under his right wing and from his chest. One needle was stuck in about 3cm deep and my husband had to pull it out with pliers!! I think it might be witchcraft of some kind. Poor roosters! How can anyone do something like that?

i found some articles on the web about roosters and witchcraft. Here are some quotes:

"Roosters
During the Middle Ages, the cock was an important Christian symbol of resurrection and vigilance. A rooster represented God, goodness, and lightness. Cocks' places were earned at the top of buildings, domes, and church steeples. They crowed at the birth and death of Christ, and they herald the dawn, "which brings light to the sins of the night and rouses men to the worship of God."

Witches Sabbats were dispersed, and enchantments were dissolved, by the crow of a rooster. The rites of Satan ended because the Holy Office of the Church had begun. The 4th-century Christian Latin poet Prudentius sang, "They say that the night-wandering demons, who rejoice in dunnest shades, at the crowing of the cock tremble and scatter in sore affright." In the time of Saint Benedict, Lauds and Matins were recited at dawn and became known as Gallicinium, or Cock-crow.

According to Nicholas Remy, a 16th-century witch prosecutor and demonologist, cocks were despised by all sorcerers and witches. However, roosters did not keep witches away. Cocks were a frequent sacrifice victim by witches because killing one was tantamount to spitting in the eye of God." (http://www.nightbringer.se/witch_protection.html)

'If you get an egg which a black hen has laid within the hour and eat it, it will remove a hoodoo spell off'n you. Keep a frizzly chicken around you at all times. If someone hoodoos you, the chicken will dig it up.To get rid of a rival in love, put his name in some ashes and let the chickens pick in the ashes. To cause to go crazy, write the person's name backwards on an egg from a black hen and throw the egg over his house or bury it under his doorstep. If someone has bitten you, put some chicken manure on the wound and all your enemy's teeth will fall out. Pick a rooster Unclad, give him a spoonful of whiskey, then put in his beak a piece of paper on which is written nine times the name of the person to be gotten rid of. The rooster is then turned loose in Saint Roch's cemetery. Within three days the man dies. TO GET RID OF A NEIGHBOR: Kill a black chicken and throw it over his house. TO MAKE THE CHICKEN STAY HOME:Spit in its throat and throw it up the chimney.' (http://www.nairaland.com/1974371/traditionalcure-spiritual-healing-superstition-voodoo)

Chicken feet are best used for protection of your personal belongings, your home, and your car, etc. Basically, anything that belongs to you that you do not want stolen. It also protects you and your belongings from negative energies or dark entities that might want to invade your space like that of psychic vampires and the likes. The most powerful chicken’s feet are the ones that come from black feathered chickens. (http://www.spellsandmagic.com/voodoo-chicken-feet.html)

I will post some pictures of the roosters some time. The one (the 'hen's chick') got killed by the dogs, but the other 3 is still kicking. That 'hen' is a real 'kannie-dood': survived that next to the road episode, a protruding broken wing, 5 dog attacks and new castles disease! Very strong rooster

Last edited:
I have had some disturbing thoughts for a while now. 2 years ago, I picked up a Black australorp hen and her chick next to the road. The hen had her comb cut off, the chick (a roo), had both his middle toes cut off. The hen (that turned out to be a rooster...) had a broken left wing, with a protruding bone that got healed later on. A month ago I picked up another rooster, at the same spot next to the road. He also had toes cut off. Today, again at the same spot, I picked up a big rooster, all toes attached this time, but...he had sewing needles stuck in him! I pulled out 4. Under his right wing and from his chest. One needle was stuck in about 3cm deep and my husband had to pull it out with pliers!! I think it might be witchcraft of some kind. Poor roosters! How can anyone do something like that?

i found some articles on the web about roosters and witchcraft. Here are some quotes:

"Roosters
During the Middle Ages, the cock was an important Christian symbol of resurrection and vigilance. A rooster represented God, goodness, and lightness. Cocks' places were earned at the top of buildings, domes, and church steeples. They crowed at the birth and death of Christ, and they herald the dawn, "which brings light to the sins of the night and rouses men to the worship of God."

Witches Sabbats were dispersed, and enchantments were dissolved, by the crow of a rooster. The rites of Satan ended because the Holy Office of the Church had begun. The 4th-century Christian Latin poet Prudentius sang, "They say that the night-wandering demons, who rejoice in dunnest shades, at the crowing of the cock tremble and scatter in sore affright." In the time of Saint Benedict, Lauds and Matins were recited at dawn and became known as Gallicinium, or Cock-crow.

According to Nicholas Remy, a 16th-century witch prosecutor and demonologist, cocks were despised by all sorcerers and witches. However, roosters did not keep witches away. Cocks were a frequent sacrifice victim by witches because killing one was tantamount to spitting in the eye of God." (http://www.nightbringer.se/witch_protection.html)

'If you get an egg which a black hen has laid within the hour and eat it, it will remove a hoodoo spell off'n you. Keep a frizzly chicken around you at all times. If someone hoodoos you, the chicken will dig it up.To get rid of a rival in love, put his name in some ashes and let the chickens pick in the ashes. To cause to go crazy, write the person's name backwards on an egg from a black hen and throw the egg over his house or bury it under his doorstep. If someone has bitten you, put some chicken manure on the wound and all your enemy's teeth will fall out. Pick a rooster Unclad, give him a spoonful of whiskey, then put in his beak a piece of paper on which is written nine times the name of the person to be gotten rid of. The rooster is then turned loose in Saint Roch's cemetery. Within three days the man dies. TO GET RID OF A NEIGHBOR: Kill a black chicken and throw it over his house. TO MAKE THE CHICKEN STAY HOME:Spit in its throat and throw it up the chimney.' (http://www.nairaland.com/1974371/traditionalcure-spiritual-healing-superstition-voodoo)

Chicken feet are best used for protection of your personal belongings, your home, and your car, etc. Basically, anything that belongs to you that you do not want stolen. It also protects you and your belongings from negative energies or dark entities that might want to invade your space like that of psychic vampires and the likes. The most powerful chicken’s feet are the ones that come from black feathered chickens. (http://www.spellsandmagic.com/voodoo-chicken-feet.html)

I will post some pictures of the roosters some time. The one (the 'hen's chick') got killed by the dogs, but the other 3 is still kicking. That 'hen' is a real 'kannie-dood': survived that next to the road episode, a protruding broken wing, 5 dog attacks and new castles disease! Very strong rooster
You should really breed with that roo!!!. That is some fantastic genes he's got!!! It is really worrying how chickens are artificially selected for egg-laying, fast growth, colours, or all manner of other things instead of health and vitality. this is why so much of our heritage livestock is in danger of getting extinct. If we have another or worse global bird flu epidemic, or something similar, we're going to need those trooper genes around!!!! chickens these days are so fragile, that is why they die of silly little infections, crop impaction, or diseases even though they are vaccinated.. its heartbreaking.
Oh and for those people who are doing that to the chickens, do us all a favor and find out who it is... and what I suggest you do to them I am not going to post on a public forum in order not to incriminate myself. At the least you could go to the SPCA and report them. Animal cruelty is illegal and punishable, even in this country

This is Aasvoël (Kannie-dood), with one of his offspring. He's not that pretty, but strong

This is the rooster that has a few toes cut. Still trying to think of a name for him.

This is Vanilla Ice, the newest addition to the family, the one that was stuck full of needles.

You should really breed with that roo!!!. That is some fantastic genes he's got!!! It is really worrying how chickens are artificially selected for egg-laying, fast growth, colours, or all manner of other things instead of health and vitality. this is why so much of our heritage livestock is in danger of getting extinct. If we have another or worse global bird flu epidemic, or something similar, we're going to need those trooper genes around!!!! chickens these days are so fragile, that is why they die of silly little infections, crop impaction, or diseases even though they are vaccinated.. its heartbreaking.
Oh and for those people who are doing that to the chickens, do us all a favor and find out who it is... and what I suggest you do to them I am not going to post on a public forum in order not to incriminate myself. At the least you could go to the SPCA and report them. Animal cruelty is illegal and punishable, even in this country

He has fathered quite a few chicks already. Only one problem for now... he has too many sons! hahaha. I want more hens, and I keep on getting more and more roosters! Out of the 20 chickens I have all together (chicks included), there are 10 (maybe 11, not sure about the one chick yet) hens...

He has fathered quite a few chicks already. Only one problem for now... he has too many sons! hahaha. I want more hens, and I keep on getting more and more roosters! Out of the 20 chickens I have all together (chicks included), there are 10 (maybe 11, not sure about the one chick yet) hens...
Wow, good for him! Just keep trying for the hens. And sell those roos for other people to breed with! His genes are precious!!!

2 years ago, we exchanged a rooster for a hen (seems like a orpington buff), but this hen just refused to lay eggs! Last week my husband finally threatened her with the pot (although we are vegetarian lol), plops! she started laying that same day... 5 eggs now. Told my hubby he should have threatened her last year already hahaha. She likes our newest rooster, Vanilla Ice. When I released him from quarantine, the other 2 roosters came to inspect him. Our main rooster, Aasvoël, didn't really mind him (think he might feel a little intimidated). The other one though, attacked him, and I sooooooo WISHED my camera's lens wasn't broken. It was a tiring challenge for both of them. Vanilla Ice is the second in charge now. He took Black Beauty (the hen that just started laying) as his girl. Have a new bunch of chicks, 13 of them and another hen with 14 eggs expected to hatch in 2 weeks from now. It seems like our little flock might be starting to grow again after the new castle blow. I am holding thumbs now that we can soon starts selling eggs again.

I'm near Hillcrest in KZN and I have big beautiful lazy Buff Orpingtons!
I've been trying to find out if indigenous garden bird attracting bushes would be safe for chickens? I'm thinking of berry producing bushes ( like Cross berry) that they could eat, and maybe some Cape Honeysuckle? Surely if they're safe for birds they would be OK for chickens?

I'm near Hillcrest in KZN and I have big beautiful lazy Buff Orpingtons!
I've been trying to find out if indigenous garden bird attracting bushes would be safe for chickens? I'm thinking of berry producing bushes ( like Cross berry) that they could eat, and maybe some Cape Honeysuckle? Surely if they're safe for birds they would be OK for chickens?
Hey Spunky! Shouldn't be a problem at all! Chickens can eat almost anything. Just check on this site for a thread regarding foods that can be toxic over time.
Good luck!

Hi Spunky! Im in Bothas Hill. My hens seem to know what is edible. They eat some odd things too, like indian shot leaves and a sort of creeping jointed weed that looked positively toxic to me. The only berries I have are gooseberries but they show no interest in them. Chick weed and blackjack are a treat but so rare now in the drought.

Back
Top Bottom