Chicken Condo! 12 individual breeding coops!

kristianhope18

Chirping
5 Years
May 24, 2014
Pikeville, Kentucky
This is the first thing I've ever built and watch come to life and I'm so excited about it! We're almost done just a couple more days Thank God! My chickens are out growing their temporary homes 0.0 I wanted something that could house multiple breeds of chickens comfortably! I wanted each breed (A rooster and 2-4 hens) to have their own little hen house with nesting boxes and roosts and their own little run and I wanted all of this to be in the smallest space possible! I searched for months and found nothing like what I needed! So I sat down with my husband and started drawing! We scratched the final coop idea the day before we went to Lowes to buy the supplies 0.0 The night before I came up with this and so far so good! We have a small fortune in it but I'm really pleased! I'm new to chickens I just got my first 4 in April an now I'm up to 19 breeds of chickens 2 breeds of turkey and 3 breeds of quail 0.0 I have over 100! Before you say anything this is not the only coop I have! My only regret is not making it bigger! I wanted at least 16 individual "condos" and ended up with 12 ;-( My husband wouldn't go any bigger! So I guess ill be down sizing a bit ;-( Its so hard to choose which breeds I like best! Anyway this coop is a 18x8! Each coop is a 3x4 with 3 nesting boxes inside and a roost! There's 6 on the front and 6 on the back the top has 2x4 wire to keep them from flying out! They have 3 tinted sky lights and its 9 foot tall and slanted! The runs are underneath the hen houses they have access through a hole in the floor and a ramp! They also have a heart shaped window in each door (hey I'm a girl lol) and the runs are 4ft tall and the hen houses are 4ft tall! I also bought PVC pipe feeders and a automatic nipple watering system that hooks to a water hose PVC pipe or can be used with a tank! It just splits and runs down the back of each run! Also the runs just unclip in the wire and I can just reach in and fill up the food or clean! Also I wanted it to be easy access to clean so we did pull out trays under the hen houses with plastic flooring on them so I can just pull them out and dump into a wheel barrel! So each hen house the birds are on wire! We also saved the heart shaped cut outs to just stick back in the windows on the doors during the winter months! Feed back is appreciated! I don't have the finished product up yet because well its not quite finished he's still gotta make the trays and put the wire up around the bottom for the runs! Besides that though he's got everything but the siding finished! Ill post pictures tomorrow when its better lighting!

Last edited:
Well you do that 'chicken math' thing justice. I suppose that you are going to really enjoy your new setup. It is quite impressive in both size and scope. It must be a nice feeling to more or less get something you want like this. A very impressive build. I try to control my breeds to some degree, but it is nice to see folks just run with it.

I will enjoy following your finished product and your thoughts on how everything turns out after a break in period. Looks like you have your bases covered…

Best of luck with your flock(s),

RJ

Congratulations! This looks terrific. Keep us posted on how it's working out. I'd like to do something similar to keep breeds separated in the future.

Thanks guys!!! Everyone close to me thinks I've just went off the deep end! I got my first chickens in April and I have this many now lol I'm almost 25 with 2 tiny babies under 2! No one really gets excited about my chicken keeping lol I just had some Malay eggs I ordered today pip through and I was jumping up and down in the kitchen earlier so excited and my inlaws just stood there watching! They really think I've lost it lol He did manage to get the trays put in I got a picture of the back sides trays they still need the front piece of wood and handles put on but its coming along slowly but surly!

we still gotta add the plastic flooring on the pull out trays, the heart cut out windows on all the doors and the sides, the handles on the trays, the holes in the trays and wire, and the wire on the runs! I just needed to move
Some in quick while were gone for the weekend so I set these guys a temporary water bottle and feed dish while were gone!

First thank you for taking the time (you are a busy girl) to post so much info with pictures and all so all of us can take away something. You are right so hard to find anything for people that want to keep breeds separate for breeding purposes. I wanted to hear an update on how the coops are working for you and what you like /dislike on the design, what you would do different. I love the idea of the sky lights, that was smart and functional. How is for keeping the rain out? Would you do the litter trays again or just use wood chips? Do you have access to collect eggs from the back or do you walk into the runs. I too am looking and trying to figure out what I want and it is so hard I am in the middle of a total home gut and I just can't decide on a plan, my mind is on overload!

Back
Top Bottom