Chicken Coop big enough?

No one??
sad.png

I would be tempted to take out 3 of the nesting boxes and have that little bit of extra space for the coop itself. There's no way you'd need 6 nesting boxes for only 6 hens. You only "need" one or two for 6 hens. I've found that you can go smaller on coop space AS LONG AS you go bigger on run space. Except for roosting at night, chickens generally don't spend much time in the coop - and definitely not all at the same time. So you can probably house 6 okay in it as long as you make them a nice big run.

I've never heard anyone complain about making the coop and/or run too big - but a lot of people regret making them too small.

I am a total newbie when it comes to coops, but I can tell you that one is smaller than the one I am planning to house four cochin bantams.

We just built a coop inside our shed for our chicks. We have 12 in there now, but I just bought 6 Australorps that will join them next month. It's almost 4' x 11.5' long. We'll have 8 nesting boxes. They'll also have a 13'x8.5' run that they'll have access to via a doggie door. I don't think I'd try to fit 6 birds in that first coop. The second seems to have more "head" room at the very least, and seems like it'll have a lot more floor space too, so they can fly and run a bit, and it'll be easier on you to clean, which you will appreciate quickly.

Stand inside your coop and visualize all your full grown birds in there. If you can see yourself walking across without having to step over a bird, your golden. If you cant see your birds walking around without bumping into each other, that's a no go.

Back
Top Bottom