Chicken coop from a shipping crate build

kenya1977

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2015
Knoxville, TN
This might take me a few weeks to get done. Picked up a shipping crate and I'm in the process of converting it. I'm wanting several windows, full sized door, and a nesting box. Taking a little from another build on here but I'm going to do a shingled roof because I think it will hold up better. So far I just have the bones, and a fun stained glass window I just painted.

The real work will start this weekend. More to come.

Well, the art is coming a long a lot faster than the crate is. I decided that I needed to frame the whole crate, so I spent a day just drawing up the design and making sure the math added up.

More chicken art for the windows. The first one turned out so well I figured I would do a pane for each breed I have. So, this is my Golden Wyandotte.

Thanks!

I'm taping a photo to the window to get the general outline of everything, then I freehand from there.

Here are some more of my finished first window.

This is my layout for my second window. I try and make sure they are all about the same general proportion. I paint the outline and all major features, but my color fills are all freehand for the most part. I'm painting with acrylic and then sealing them with polyurethane. I'll clean up the wood and repaint before mounting them too.

Finally got some real work done on the coop. All four walls framed and ready to go up. Need to level foundation cinder blocks tomorrow and raise the walls.

Double windows wall

Nest box wall

Door wall (Laying in front of another and on its side)

Single window and Chicken door wall, laying on its side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom