chicken coop heater pictures

i was thinking about getting a electric heater from wal-mart and going to northern tool supply and buying a solar panel to run it so i don't have to run my electric bill up!
does anyone here use solar panels for light, etc in there chicken coop?

Quote:
Patience my young padawan. Remember it's the middle of the day and most are still at work. I use red heat lamps for both heat and to keep waterers from freezing until I get waterers with heat elements in them.

jeremy

I don't know if this one is as good as the one at Shop The Coop, but Northern Tools & Equip. has a heater too. I bought one today for my 8x8 coop since it was relatively cheep -- get it - cheep?
lol.png

I also use a red heat lamp.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200310679_200310679

Quote:
You don't need to heat your coop in NC, not even in the mountains. Honest!! Realio trulio.

Most electric heaters will be a serious fire hazard (heating element plus dust equals combustion). The sealed oil-filled ones are probably safer, although of course also more expensive. They will run up your electric bill something fierce and provide no actual useful service for your chickens, in addition to being a fire hazard. (E.t.a. - they draw a BIG LOT of current and you would need a substantial-sized, i.e. expensive, solar panel system to run any electric heaters)

If you truly think your chickens are at risk of frostbite on the coldest nights, just hang a regular ol' lightbulb -- can be red -- in a heatlamp fixture above the roost. This puts targeted heat where it is needed (rather than attempting to heat the whole coop).

Pat

Last edited:
We're not going to heat Annie, though I have kept the brooder lamp in the coop for emergencies and the coop is insulated. IThe lamp is offset from the roosts to prevent the girls from getting their combs burned. For now the lamp has a 100W bulb that comes on before dawn to extend daylight and I keep a 250W infrared in a cupboard, left over from the brooder.

We will use an electric dog bowl, but it comes on only when the temp is approaching freezing. Mostly we want our birds to develop a dense feathercoat and we bought them locally knowing they are suitable for our climate! Details in link below.
lol.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-seasonal-concerns

Last edited:
We on occasion get into the single digits here in the mtns of Ga. We dont heat the coops at all. Heaven knows, there's plenty of body heat! We have a heat bulb hanging low over the waterers to prevent freezing (too badly, at least) so it doesnt throw light into the room, but that's it. Our coops are insulated, except for one of them.

IM not sure Shopthecoop.com is the best place to buy heaters. I was looking for a thermastatically controlled outlet and they charge $35. I went to Lowes and bought one for $14
It will make my heat lamp come on at 35 and off at 45 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom