Chicken Coop Recommendations

No. No. And no. Search the forums for "prefab coop" and you will see hundreds of posts expressing dissatisfaction with coops like this. From warping wood, rain leakage, and inadequate space to poor ventilation, and inadequate predator protection, the list of complaints is huge. Don't waste your money.

I tend to agree with the others. Most pre-fab coops are NOT MADE to house chickens. They are made to sell.

Let that sink in for a moment and you will understand where everyone is coming from. Those are the voices of experience.

I wouldn't go with that coop or really any other prefab coops. They are all usually awful. That one, for example, has an actual coop space (aka the living quarters) listed as about 2' by 2', so 4 square feet. That is enough space for one and only one chicken. Plus, it's not going to last very long at all exposed to the elements. These coops tend to fall apart quickly.

For $200 you are much better off building your own as you can build one much larger, nicer, and sturdier than this one that will last for years.

I wouldn't go with that coop or really any other prefab coops. They are all usually awful. That one, for example, has an actual coop space (aka the living quarters) listed as about 2' by 2', so 4 square feet. That is enough space for one and only one chicken. Plus, it's not going to last very long at all exposed to the elements. These coops tend to fall apart quickly.

For $200 you are much better off building your own as you can build one much larger, nicer, and sturdier than this one that will last for years.

x2. Even a second-hand garden shed will do the job perfectly.

I would build something, spend some time on the coops pages here and find something you like and get busy, it will take twice as long and cost twice as much but in the end you will be better off. Also go as big as is practical, I have never heard anyone complain the went too big, too small on the other hand....

Good luck in your chicken keeping journey!

Gary

And WELCOME TO BYC!!!
D.gif
D.gif

Last edited:
Hello there I bought a similar style and it's been up for two months in the
Colorado weather /winter and its already costing me more money to keep it dry
Had I found this site first I would of made one of my own
It's very inadequate for just my two hens will be getting six total and planning on giving
My friends some great eggs for their help this spring in building better

The one I bought was coops&feathers superior hen house what junk

Back
Top Bottom