Chicken cut/rubbed terribly! PLEASE HELP!

It is and thank you so, so much for all your help!
The vet gave me an oral antibiotic (checked ingredients- no Caine) to give to her 2/day. She also gave us some antibacterial gel (also no Caine) to apply after a gentle iodine wash each day, the instructions also say 2/day. Thanks again so much!

It is and thank you so, so much for all your help!
The vet gave me an oral antibiotic (checked ingredients- no Caine) to give to her 2/day. She also gave us some antibacterial gel (also no Caine) to apply after a gentle iodine wash each day, the instructions also say 2/day. Thanks again so much!

YW! Post pics of her healing in 2 weeks or so? Would love to know how she is doing.
smile.png

No problem! Actually, today my grandfather actually came out with a hatchet so if he thought it wouldn't repair he would, you know... But she will be OK! My grandpa had chickens for a long time when he lived on his farm as well, the vet also had a look and both say she will be OK! I am so relived, it was a very turbulent day... Thanks again for all your support and advice! It really helped!

Update! The hen (whom is named Gloria GRAINor ;D) is doing much better! She is far more active and the red has returned to her comb and wattles, she gets let out for a private sun bath before and after treatment now. She also is far more relaxed about treatment and she easily eats her antibiotics! Here are some pictures of her outside before her treatment!:

Pretty gal. Glad she is gonna be fine, I saw "Grandpa" and" hatchet" and had a heart attack for second until I actually read your whole post! Wheew! I feel better now. Happy for you and her!
smile.png

Thanks so much! I was having a heart attack the whole time! We really thought she was a goner but we are SO glad we decided to hold out for longer! Our vet is actually our horse vet who we were SO lucky she was there to treat a horse and we were SO SO lucky to have her look at the chicken for no cost! We (my freind and I) cannot afford a vet cost, and these chickens are soley OUR responsibility, so we're were extremely lucky she did that for us! Free eggs forever! ;p

Update: the hen is doing infinitely better! We have another hen that was very low on the pecking order and got canibalized, very minor injuries, but enough to make us want to quarantine her to make sure she heals. On an aside - any good cures for canibalisim? We think one of our hens became a little canibalistic over the winter, when there was less to do, but they have ample room, food, water excerise etc.
Back on track - our hen (Gloria) is recuperating well, her back scabbed up and peeled off :)s) but there is new tissue underneath! She is very active, and her and our New Hampshire Red - the canibalized one - are getting along well (they both love to escape their pens and get together!) we also opened up the second half of our coop (which was an abandoned coop we inherited with the farm) and cleaned it out! The floor and walls still need repairing, but the roof is solid (we derided the whole thing last summer) and while the second half of the coop is a little makeshift, both hens love the extended space!
This got a little off topic, so I apologize, but thank you again for all your support!!

Update: the hen is doing infinitely better! We have another hen that was very low on the pecking order and got canibalized, very minor injuries, but enough to make us want to quarantine her to make sure she heals. On an aside - any good cures for canibalisim? We think one of our hens became a little canibalistic over the winter, when there was less to do, but they have ample room, food, water excerise etc.
Back on track - our hen (Gloria) is recuperating well, her back scabbed up and peeled off :)s) but there is new tissue underneath! She is very active, and her and our New Hampshire Red - the canibalized one - are getting along well (they both love to escape their pens and get together!) we also opened up the second half of our coop (which was an abandoned coop we inherited with the farm) and cleaned it out! The floor and walls still need repairing, but the roof is solid (we derided the whole thing last summer) and while the second half of the coop is a little makeshift, both hens love the extended space!
This got a little off topic, so I apologize, but thank you again for all your support!!
You can do one or both of these: remove cannibalistic hen for 3 weeks or more to lower her in the pecking order. The second, is to trim her beak for behavioral modification. I am NOT suggesting debeaking like commercial operations do! What I am suggesting is: file the upper beak just short of the blood line so that it is flat, not pointed. (you shouldn't need to do any to the bottom beak as it is a little shorter anyway-use your own judgment) This part of the beak WILL grow back (you see chickens wiping their beak, they are shortening and trimming it themselves) Once you file it a little, she will eat fine but her beak will be tender and hard pecking will hurt a bit. This is the modification, stopping her from pecking hard enough to injure. Once she plays nice, you can stop trimming. This type of trimming is NOT disfiguring, an impediment to eating and drinking or cruel. Think of it as the bird getting a smack on the beak every time she pecks too hard.
I am glad both injured birds are doing well! Once the back of the GLW is healed, she would be well served by a hen saddle until her feathers grow back!
smile.png

Sounds fantastic, and your canibalisim treatments sound great! Don't worry, I didn't think you were going to suggest de beaking, it is a horrifying practice,..

Sadly the New Hampshire Red was killed by our dogs, it is a long and terrible story beggining with good intentions and ending with a fencing malfunction and some bad judgment on the chickens part.... Please remind me why her and Gloria decided to run OUT the hole that was too small for the dogs (after the dogs created it by warping a loose pallet...) all in all it has been a traumatic day. However, shockingly enough Gloria has, yet again, continued to survive. (The hen is like a cat I tell you...)

Sounds fantastic, and your canibalisim treatments sound great! Don't worry, I didn't think you were going to suggest de beaking, it is a horrifying practice,..

Sadly the New Hampshire Red was killed by our dogs, it is a long and terrible story beggining with good intentions and ending with a fencing malfunction and some bad judgment on the chickens part.... Please remind me why her and Gloria decided to run OUT the hole that was too small for the dogs (after the dogs created it by warping a loose pallet...) all in all it has been a traumatic day. However, shockingly enough Gloria has, yet again, continued to survive. (The hen is like a cat I tell you...)

Oh, I'm sorry about your NHR! Darn dog! I'm glad Gloria survived that! Time to do some on leash dog training. The dog needs to know chickens are yours and part of his pack." Leave it" is an excellent command to use to train the dog to ignore. I can give you more help with further training if you would like.
It's nice if Gloria has a friend in her pen for some of the day, keeps her spirits up. You've done a good job with her.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom