Chicken eats rat

Welcome to BYC!

Absolutely no need to worry if you don't have poison out. Chickens are great little hunters and eat rats/mice/anything that moves all the time. City rats are the ones that carry diseases. Even then, it's highly unlikely that your chickens would catch any from them. Not possible for anything to happen to their eggs.
Chickens can also make short work of baby snakes.

Any information please. We were tilling our garden yesterday and a small rat run into the chicken coop. And the chickens chased it and all were eating it. Do we need to throw away their eggs worried about any possible diseases? We haven’t put any poison out or anything like that.
Mine eat field mice and frogs all the time. If it’s running, my girls will catch it and have a treat!

Any information please. We were tilling our garden yesterday and a small rat run into the chicken coop. And the chickens chased it and all were eating it. Do we need to throw away their eggs worried about any possible diseases? We haven’t put any poison out or anything like that.
Count your blessings that your rooster and flock will go after mice and rats scurrying around!

My chickens made me get rid of the rats for them and it was a trial!

But, they love a good mousey! This week, Bronwyn even ate what I would consider a mostly decomposed mouse corpse and seems fine. Mouse keep-away is a popular game for my flock.

Welcome to BYC; hope we've put your mind at ease.
Mouse Keep-away is the perfect name! Mine do it as well. ;)

Hi, As you can see from the other replies, it is safe to eat the eggs.
I often travel through places where Rats are a delicacy. People do barbecue Rats of different types eat.

So nothing to worry !

Back
Top Bottom