Chicken eye colors

chknaddict

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
I wasn't sure where this would go, so am putting it here. We've had chickens only a few months, and our first few pullets all seem to have bright golden eyes. Now we have a 9 week old presumed rooster (Barred Rock) and he's got pretty green eyes. Does eye color vary by breed? I know Silkies have dark eyes, but what about others?

Thanks.

Yup, eye color varies by breeds.. most common are red, golden, and brown. but some come black.. Oriental gamefowl (and maybe more though i haven't seen it) come a gray color a lot of the time.. Maybe other breeds too but those are the only ones i know of.

-Daniel

PS. I've seen some weird eye colors over the years though, some that looked like a mixture of colors..

Interesting, our Black Australorps have the amber eyes, too. As well as the Buff Orpingtons, RIR, Welsummer, and sex-links. So far the only green-eyed one is our BR.

Thanks for the answers.

My little partridge rock roo (that I found a wonderful home for) has the most BEAUTIFUL green eyes. They seemed to get more and more green as he got older. I never knew chickens could have green eyes!

I have a variety of different chicken breeds, and also a variety of different eye colors among them. My favorite eye color was this roo I got from another BYC'er, and while we don't know what he is, he is gorgeous. We suspect he's possibly a Cuckoo Maran mix cause he has a cuckoo pattern and pink legs. When I first got him he was about 7 or 8 weeks old, and he had blue eyes! He was so beautiful! He is now about 12 weeks old and his eyes have changed from that lovely blue to a light amber that is almost yellow. He's still a very handsome boy.

Back
Top Bottom