Chicken Falconry

BrowncoatChicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
You're all gonna think I'm crazy, and I probably am, so let's just get that out in the open
big_smile.png
I've been somewhat fascinated by the sport of falconry as of late. Odd for a vegetarian, don't you think? Well, I love birds and I guess I would just be participating in nature, not killing myself... Anyways, since getting involved in falconry at this point in my life is a no-go (except I did get an interview with a wildlife education organisation that uses raptors a while back for a volunteer position), does anyone think it at all possible to train other birds, say, chickens, using falconry techniques? Could you train a chicken to retrieve an object and/or a bug? This was originally my dad's idea
smile.png

I have been wondering the same thing. My Sumatra's are a breed of chicken that re excellent fliers and there run is set up more as a natural looking aviary then a plain old Chicken run. I have mine trained to fly up on my arm. So I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't think anyone has put any real effort into trying it. I am planning on picking up some books and seeing if I can train my Sumatra rooster. I don't think there is any harm in trying really.

I don't know anything about pigeons but I am sure you could teach them as much falconry as a chicken. They aren't raptors so you can't teach them all of it or expect them to be as good at it as a Falcon or a Hawk but they could probably be pretty close

Back
Top Bottom