Chicken Feed

One bag of layer isn't going to hurt anyone, particularly with them well grown. Go ahead and feed it. Over a long time scale, calcium builds up in roos and can cause a host of problems, Its an even bigger problem for birds still in development. They younger they are, the more it potentially hurts them.

Purina is otherwise a fine feed.

Your husband should listen better to you when you send him with a shopping list. ;)

That said, both the feeds you mention are "Layer" formulations. They BOTH have excess calcium. You should move to an all flock type feed and offer oyster shell on the side for the long term health of your Roo.

I have never put all my eggs in the same basket AKA i'm not using one type of feed. Although i have always used Purina flock raiser crumble. My secondary feed is a whole grain complete mix. J&J Bagging America classic 10 way show stopper. Now a very south east farm is sell their "chicken crack" complete feed. I am getting a 50lbs sack to try this month. They list ingredients as well as nutrition values. what ever i use they get 50% of each with oyster shell in two places.
Feed them what ever but if they dont get good gut/probiotics...
apple cider vinegar in the water a few times a week does it well.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I usually mix in 1 cup of probiotics and some brewers yeast in the 40# bag of feed. I try to keep them healthy as they are considered my pets with benefits. Their eggs are pretty and oh so good! 😊 I just gotta make sure my husband gets the right brand next time😉 I really appreciate your support.

Many of us are use to slowly introducing new feeds to our pets/animals to avoid digestion issues, but it just isn't required with poultry. They can stomach anything at anytime :)

Back
Top Bottom