Chicken Fiction

poltroon

Songster
11 Years
Feb 28, 2008
California (North Coast)
I had a chance to read a new novel, The Sweetheart of Prosper County, about a teen girl who decides to join FFA and show a chicken at the county fair. She ends up with a bantam black rosecomb rooster, and finding a new group of good friends in FFA. It's a lovely novel and well worth reading. I quite enjoyed it... and as it happened, I read it while my daughter was on barn patrol at the county fair, with roosters crowing and a variety of lovely chickens to admire. Perfect!
cool.png

What other chicken novels are out there?

I guess it's past time for us all. We need some good chicken novels. The possibilities are endless.

... he crowed, he lowered his wing... he danced... ah those romantic chicken novels.

... one little, two little, three little pullets..... chicken books for kids.

... Once over the Cuckoo Maran's nest...

you get the idea.

There seem to be a good number of kid books, and let's not forget the marvelous "Chicken Run", but I would have loved to have found this book before we started the whole County Fair / 4H adventure - I would have had a better idea of what to expect.
tongue.png

This book isn't completely fiction because it is an account of the author's dealing with his animals, but its hilarious and one of my favorites. It's called "Enslaved by Ducks". I'm not normally a fan of nonfiction, but this book was excellent and I really enjoyed reading it!

Several years ago I ran across a book of short stories by Robert Frost that were all about raising chickens (Wyandottes). I wish I had a copy of it or remembered the title.

Quote:
I want to read that!!

I read a book this part year called "Chicken Friend." It was a cute story for middle school girls.

I also own a book called "Louise: The Adventures of a Chicken."

I gave the Louise book to a niece, along with a stuffed chicken...

There's a good chicken book I ready last summer. Have to see if I can find it. It was about a teen boy and his chickens...

Back
Top Bottom