(Chicken got a cold?) Added Info.(MS/MG,ILT,CRD,NPIP)

My chickens tested postive for E.Coli Respiratory Infection. Nothing else showed on the lab results. How does that fit into this problem?
We culled our chickens as we only had a few of them.

Last edited:
Thanks Victoria.
My chickens had the swab test and they only tested positive for E. Coli and nothing else.
Symptoms were mild respiratory.

How is it possible to have an E. Coli respiratory infection without anything else?
I thought the E.Coli infection was secondary.

Last edited:
Hello:

Well, after many years of raising chickens, I have come to a conclusion that none of you are going to like.
I let my birds out in the sunshine. It is cruel to not do so. There is one thing I believe every one has missed.
WILD birds, that is the family of birds that live and breed in your yard have become carriers of many diseases.
I believe this to be true and factual. My flock has several generations of hatchlings. My one layer group was
perfectly healthy until this fall. They go out every day in a nice pen and get poultry and layer mash and mostly
fresh water. Outside the water is in a large container and cleaned once every 4-5 days.
But, I noticed that wild birds are feeding in the pen and drinking the water when the birds are in the coop.
It has become my conclusion that my flock is getting sick from the wild birds.
I usually do not lose any, but dang they do get sick and miserable.
Antibiotics are pretty useless. The best i have tried is Lincomycin (spelling?)
Well, there I have typed it.
Guinea Goonie

Hello:

Well, after many years of raising chickens, I have come to a conclusion that none of you are going to like.
I let my birds out in the sunshine. It is cruel to not do so. There is one thing I believe every one has missed.
WILD birds, that is the family of birds that live and breed in your yard have become carriers of many diseases.
I believe this to be true and factual. My flock has several generations of hatchlings. My one layer group was
perfectly healthy until this fall. They go out every day in a nice pen and get poultry and layer mash and mostly
fresh water. Outside the water is in a large container and cleaned once every 4-5 days.
But, I noticed that wild birds are feeding in the pen and drinking the water when the birds are in the coop.
It has become my conclusion that my flock is getting sick from the wild birds.
I usually do not lose any, but dang they do get sick and miserable.
Antibiotics are pretty useless. The best i have tried is Lincomycin (spelling?)
Well, there I have typed it.
Guinea Goonie
Thank you all for agreeing or disagreeing to the original post that I had compiled, it has brought great conversation. My flock is outside and is exposed to bird droppings, especially migrating waterfowl, song birds and raptors. Most of the time we do not see any signs and I still have 4 of the 5 original hens that we started with years ago, they have times in the spring where one or two will show bubbles coming out their eyes, a cough or two and then on their way.

Our Coop is not kept air tight environment, it is not insulated. We do have a door that is open to the hall where we keep the feed bins, that door is opened to the outside and is opened daily, winter or summer (except in extreme cold). I have found this has helped the health of our flock.
A lot of these diseases our birds can contract, I envy those that can dispatch their flocks to start over, I am one that cannot, they are pets even added a few birds here and there and the new birds have not shown any signs. Go figure....

You all have a wonderful summer and enjoy your flocks!

Kellie aka spook

Hello: I have put a gravity feed water system inside the coop now. I am giving the birds Lincomyacim once per month in s single 1 gallon dose.
I lost a nice cinn queen just the other day. I just cannot keep the disease ration down.
I have noticed that my BLACK AUSTROLUPS are the best hens I have had in resisting desease.
They give nice brown eggs, not as often or as large as the queens, but good enough.
My Bamtams also seem to do pretty well in resistance of disease.
I have 17 new chicks this spring. I am sure some will be roosters and some will be bamtams.
Momma hen is doing a great job with them.

I'm dealing with MG now none of my birds are showing signs but they tested positive for it after I had bought one from a swap that died. I sent her to a lab to make sure my others would become infected. Even though they were in separate pins they were all infected.......I've had those birds for years! I can't let them go! I don't breed to sell or sell eggs I just do my own thing for my own flock so if everything I've read is true most of us back yard owners have it and don't even know it! Wild birds can bring it to you again after you cull all flock and start over....none of the hatcheries in my state that are NPIP have tests for the MG. I think I'll just keep my happy closed flock.

Back
Top Bottom